Opening Screen Missing Wonder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening Screen Missing Wonder

The building on the BTS main screen is the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore otherwise known as the Florence Cathedral. (Take a look at the 6th picture down in that link if you have any doubts)

Only reason I knew this was because the History Channel recently had a show about it. Interesting story concerning how it got built. Two engineers were charged with it's construction and had differing ideas about how to build the dome. One of the engineers (Brunelleschi) purposely made his rival look bad to the financers in order to gain lone control over the project. Good thing he did, because he revolutionized dome construction as a result.

At any rate... why is it displayed on the main game screen only to be left out of the game? At the time it was built it was the largest religious building in the world (i think), so it definatly would qualify as a "wonder".

Any thoughts, feelings, or perhaps developers quotes on why it was granted main screen status, only to be left out of the game?

Just for fun, if it WAS included, what do you think would be it's game mechanics?
    Last edited by Pinchak; December 28, 2007, 17:47.

The link doesnt seem to work (for me).
    Larger than the pyramids at gizeh ?

Comment

Actually, at it's time it was only the largest religious structure in Europe. Now it's fourth in Europe, and well down the list of "World's largest".

Oh, and I didn't know this, but the largest pyramid in the world is actually: Great Pyramid of Cholula in Mexico.

Here's the list of world's largest religious structures: http://www.sacred-destinations.com/s...-buildings.htm

Comment

Isnt there a really big one in china, also ?

Comment

There's quite a good book on the subject, "Brunelleschi's Dome" ... but to be honest, we don't need yet another religious wonder
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Huh, I thought that building was the "Apostolic Palace"-wonder...
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Hmmmm, VERY INTERESTING.

The ingame video for building the Apostolic Palace looks ALOT like the Florance Catherdral.... but I'm not sure the cathedral has that courtyard that is shown in the game.

Anyway, I think you are right Tattila.

Oh, i fixed the link in the first post as well.

My guess is that they changed some of the archatecture of the Catherdral so that they didn't have to call it "The Florance Catherdral".

Comment

Working...
              X