Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn off diplomatic victory in the normal game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn off diplomatic victory in the normal game?

I am a long time Civ 3 player and finally made the jump and purchased Civ 4. I was trying to get into the game and out of nowhere the AI wins a diplomatic victory thanks to some dumb apostolic palace vote that didn't make any sense.

I know, I know. There's some logic behind it. I don't care. I don't like it. I want to disable it. I always turned it off in Civ 3. The only way I saw to do this in Civ 4 was through the "custom game" screen. I'm not familiar with this game at all and the custom game screen offers no information on the different leaders -- not even what country they belong to.

What I want to do is disable diplomatic victory in the normal game. I tried editing the civilizationIV.ini file after guessing which "1" I had to turn to a "0", but this only seemed to turn it off on the custom game screen. Starting a normal game not only ignores this, it overwrites the ini file.

This game is supposed to be super customizable and all that, so how can I turn off diplomatic victory in the normal game? I'm kind of surprised they give you 10 screens of world customization and no victory condition options.

The custom game screen is exactly how you'd do it. That's the whole point of the screen. If you want everything else to be standard options, just don't check those boxes.

Comment

No, I'm saying I want it removed from the normal game.

The custom game screen is awful. I haven't memorized what all the special units and abilities of every leader and civilization are, nor have I memorized what leaders belong to what civilization, which the custom game screen assumes I have.

Comment

I can only offer, what would be my "workaround": I´d just start any game, open the civilopedia (the book in the top-right corner of the main in-game-screen) and choose a civ you like, by way of browsing through them, comparing and such. Pick Your fav there and note his name. Then start a new game on the costum game screen. You can rather easily pick your leader with the drop-down menu, next to your name. Also, dont forget to set the diplomatic victory button as desired. While at it, you´d probably interested to look through the other options avaiable here. It´s a bit messy, but still easier than fiddling with the .ini files, i´d say. I never start my games the ´normal´ way. I dont even know what that screen looks like in BTS.

Comment

Oh well, I was hoping for some kind of edit to an xml file or some custom hack or something. Maybe there's a way to do it.

Maybe this is a good opportunity to say that the custom game menu would be much friendlier

Until then I will take your advice.

Comment

Working...
          X