Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear Firaxiumitis,or whomever makes these...abominations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Firaxiumitis,or whomever makes these...abominations...

Ok, they're really great games...don't have dingo, or whatever his name is, ban me.

I've mentioned this bout the freakin jungle once be for, K? I've got a building outside my house here in the Philippines, jungleland, that houses students at the peso equivelent of $3 each. Not good you say? Shoulda seen it be for the dollar went to hell! Anyway, there are mohogany studs in the walls of that esteemed sanctuary for young lady college students :gulp: who seek learning.

Taken from a jungle near me.

Over a century ago, when expolrers sought the polar regions, on the way they found eskimo tribal meeting buildings.The great rafters and joists of these buildings were...to the leaded, open mouthed gaping amazement of our intepid explorers, mahogany! The eskimos didn't know where it came from when it washed upon their shores, nor the Filipinos care where it went when the tropical storms washed it down the swolen rivers. You can build civilzations with the stuff! (or college girls boarding houses or whatever)

Then there's Jemolina, coco lumber, and many different hardwoods that grow wild, Teak...

Give me a shield would you please? And maybe a little something when I clear it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Lancer; December 23, 2007, 08:02.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

when you consider the reality that the jungles still hold as yet undiscovered lifeforms and possible medicines yet to be found as cures for the ills of mankind, it does appear strange that the makers of civ would have us all believe they are but worthless places. Only useful when cleared ? there really should be some value in game for having them in the late stages, which There is already ? enviromentalism ? but why should forests be considered much better than jungles ? are they not one and the same just in different climates ?
    A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

They are stuck on conifers.

Comment

But there IS some value for jungles in the late game. You can build forest preserves on them for happiness and make them spread (!). I have never tried that before but civilopedia says that you can (under BTS concepts IIRC).

Comment

I thought that was only forests ? however i have to agree with Lancer that there should be a shield and something for clearing them.
          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

You can indeed build preserves on Jungle tiles.
            - Dregor

Comment

I'd love to see a jungle cleared for a farm to produce some extra food for a while, or give a onetime food surge to the nearest city. Ash is nutritious, or so I hear.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I think you should get 1/2 to 2/3 hammer bonus when clearing jungle, as opposed to forest. And I think it should start with 1 food & 1 hammer, then get +1 coin when you discover environmentalism.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I like the clear forest for production, jungle for food idea. That would be very exciting!
                  www.neo-geo.com

Comment

There should be hammers, no reason why not.

Comment

Maybe you get lucky and your jungle holds exotic parrots! +1 commerce, woot!
                      "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

You could bring back the swamp to create a 'no good without massive worker time' tile.
                        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

someone made a mod for realism a while back and one of the things they did was make railroad the prerequisite for clearing jungle. or was it biology? regardless, the reason is quite clear. it was not until industrialization began before jungles were cleared in any kind of scale. the panama canal was attempted built several times in the 1800's, but the jungle was too fierce (malaria) and too wet for them to succeed. it was not until machines and vaccines were readily available before jungles could be cleared easily and safely. this should be represented. jungles should last far longer and be a natural obstacle until the industrial age.

and all things considered, swamps aren't that proliferous... common.
                          Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

if you define much of Florida and the Amazon as swamp there is a fair bit.
                            www.neo-geo.com

Comment

and it also used be sprad a lot further in europe before it was urbanized...

but i agree with your first idea, LzPrst - i remember that mod, too. I think, clearing them later then should have an effect on the global climate (see the "global warming woe" thread on that, please). So even after you can clear them, it might not be a good idea sometimes. But if You do, i dont see a reason, why they shouldnt give hammers (and maybe gold, too - tropical wood is a luxury), when forests do. They do take longer to clear than forest, dont they ?

Comment

Working...
                              X