Corporation spread failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporation spread failure

I had several instances where my corporate executive is consumed but failed to spread the corporation. What are the chances of failure? I thought only religion can fail to spread.

mayb there was a competating corp in that city already?
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/scare2140.jpg

Comment

-SafaN- is right. For example, you can't have Sid's Sushi and Cereal Mills in the same city and attempting to spread SS to a city with CM will either fail or drive CM out and succeed.
      "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Actually, the corporation code piggy-backs off the religion code, so there is a chance that the corporation will fail to spread, even to a city that lacks any corporation, just as there is a chance that a religion will fail to be spread by a missionary even to a city without a religion. It's a very small chance from what I understand, but after repeated iterations eventually it'll happen.

Having another corporation in the city may increase the failure chance of execs a little, just as having another religions in a city will increase the failure chance of missionaries.

Just build another exec, save up some more gold, and try again.
        "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

If there isn't a religion or a corporation in a city, there is no chance of an attempt to spread a religion or corporation failing. With just one already in a city, the chance of failure is small, but the more religions or corporations there are in a city, the higher the risk of failure. I don't know what the exact odds are, but with just one religion or corporation in place, the risk can't be much higher than ten percent if it's that high. (I don't know whether the risk of failure is higher trying to replace a corporation with another, competing corporation.)

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
            If there isn't a religion or a corporation in a city, there is no chance of an attempt to spread a religion or corporation failing.
            Are you sure about that? I really seem to recall a corporation spread failing with no other franchises in the city in one game. (Of course, I'm frequently wrong....)

-Matt Groenig

Comment

I've spread corporations to literally hundreds of cities over the course of a few games (playing on huge maps) and never noticed a failure in a city that didn't already have a corporation. Is it possible that someone else could have spread a corporation to the city you're remembering without your having noticed?

Comment

It appears to me from my games that the failure odds for corporations with X already present is aprox equal to missonaries with X already present. With the proviso I've never tried to spread a corporation to someone else's cities nor found a crop that would compete with my own.
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I get corporations failing to spread fairly regularly - that is I see it in most games I play.

Generally it happens when I am spreading corporations to my own cities. From memory I'm not sure whether it ever happens to the first corp but the second (non-competing) one to go into a city can definitely fail to spread.
                  Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I have had religions fail to spread in a city w/o a religion.

EDIT: and not just civs with Theocracy.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I read from another thread that the religion spread success rate for cities without any religion is 100%. So unless it has been changed in a patch, this shouldn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Fistleaf
                        I read from another thread that the religion spread success rate for cities without any religion is 100%. So unless it has been changed in a patch, this shouldn't happen.
                        Well, this is easily solved, then. In what file is that information contained?

-Matt Groenig

Comment

I've never had failure from missonaries spreading to cities with no religion at all, but I don't normally send them to such cities.

Originally posted by Fistleaf
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                          X