Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I gave Civ4 another try this weekend...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I gave Civ4 another try this weekend...

And it wasn't half bad.

I liked it better than the first few times I played it almost 2 years ago.

Anyhow, I have a few Qs. How the hell can you win a diplomatic victory with 18 civs playing?!

Also, I completly owned the game at noble, I mean, I had modern armors vs Grenadiers in 1862 AD...Is that normal?

I also chose "no tech trading" once and even the smallest nations had most of the techs the leaders had. How so?

How can you win at deity? I tried and failed miserably, Is there a good preset or something I should know? I felt like montezuma...

On that matter, why does Montezuma ALWAYS suck? I mean, every game he is last.

Has anyone here ever won a game at conquest on a huge map? Is it possible?

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Civ4 vanilla I assume?

How the hell can you win a diplomatic victory with 18 civs playing?!

The diplo victory isn't really, uh, diplo. You can try to diplo it through religion, but the diplo victory is generally reserved for when you've conquered half the world

Also, I completly owned the game at noble, I mean, I had modern armors vs Grenadiers in 1862 AD...Is that normal?

Good for you Noble is pretty much the default, baseline difficulty. If it's vanilla, then Noble there is considerably easier than in BtS. Try a higher difficulty for sure.

I also chose "no tech trading" once and even the smallest nations had most of the techs the leaders had. How so?

I'm not sure what happened there, but size doesn't really mean that much for your civ, not as much as in past games, and not research-wise. A small civ can even be the tech leader.

How can you win at deity?

You're probably not there yet Generally, you win at Deity by being Aeson.

On that matter, why does Montezuma ALWAYS suck? I mean, every game he is last

Tokugawa sucks much worse. Monty is just really, really unfriendly. He won't build peaceful stuff and will end backwards if his first war fails. With the pre-Blake military AI, happens too often, though.

Has anyone here ever won a game at conquest on a huge map? Is it possible?

Conquest is boring, Domination is better. Conquest means you need to raze them all... meh
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The diplo victory isn't really, uh, diplo. You can try to diplo it through religion, but the diplo victory is generally reserved for when you've conquered half the world
      A "true" diplomatic victory is possible, extremely tricky but very satisfying if you can pull it off. I once pulled off an AP diplomatic victory without getting into any wars, but yeah most diplomatic victories are of the "domination-diplomaitc" type.

To the OP: If you are enjoying Civ IV, I recommend you pick up BtS at some point. It makes a great game even better. However you might want to hold off until the next patch before picking it up, depending on your tolerance for bugs.

Don't bother with Warlords, it was great when it was released but it has been obsoleted by BtS.

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
        Not if you're playing with BtS. The AI is much better than it was in vanilla.

Comment

WTF is vanilla?

Spec.
          -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

'Vanilla' is the term for Civ 4 (or indeed any game) without the expansions or mods. It just means Civ 4 standard, without BtS or Warlords.

Comment

WTF is vanilla?

Spec.
              Think plain, like vanilla ice cream.
              And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Just a note. If you play BTS be sure to use the aggressive AI option. Otherwise BTS is easier than vanilla civ IV.

And for winning at Deity on vanilla IV. Play OCC on a small map and try a conquest victory. OCC is the only way I've won on deity.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I assume that the following note will be needed: OCC = One city challange.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                    Just a note. If you play BTS be sure to use the aggressive AI option. Otherwise BTS is easier than vanilla civ IV.
                    Ahhh, thanks, I just got BTS and was having an easier time of it than I remembered in civ4.
                    Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

What was changed to make BTS easier than vanilla?

Comment

Re: Well, I gave Civ4 another try this weekend...

Techs that have been researched by other civs are easier to research. The more CIVs that has the Tech, the better.

Comment

Re: Well, I gave Civ4 another try this weekend...

I also chose "no tech trading" once and even the smallest nations had most of the techs the leaders had. How so?...

Spec.
                          No Tech Brokering is what I select. It lets me trade my research without allowing them to retrade it.
                          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Re: Re: Well, I gave Civ4 another try this weekend...

Originally posted by Supr49er

No Tech Brokering is what I select. It lets me trade my research without allowing them to retrade it.
                            Same here.
                            "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                            "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Fistleaf
                              What was changed to make BTS easier than vanilla?
                              In BtS they implemented the "Aggressive AI" option - so basically Blake created 2 sets of AI, the normal one, and the aggressive one.

To really differentiate between the two, it seems the normal AI became a bit easier - or so it seems.

I think the normal AI seems easier simply because a) we have been playing this version of Civ for a while now, and b) after getting spanked by the aggressive AI a few times - normal does naturally seem easier.
                              I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                              X