Inland or ocean front?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inland or ocean front?

Where do you prefer your first city to be?
    Inland
    13.33%
    Oceanfront
    70.00%
    No preference, and who am I and why am I here?
    16.67%
    Banana
    0.00%
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

dont get yorself locked into the same ole rut

get use to making the best out of any location
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Inland.

Actually I don't mind starting by the coast but I do mind;
      1) relying on marine resources for early food,
      2) having a large amount of water tiles in your capitals fat cross.

The odds of either happening are reduced with inland starts.
      LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

For development and for early game options, the coastal start is almost always going to be best. Obviously it is resource dependent but a coastal city with resources will generally be stronger than a land-locked one and allows you to build lighthouse, harbour, Great Lighthouse and Colossus

Edit: Speaking on behalf of my avatar, I prefer to have a trading post in the capital

Comment

From a theoertical point of view a coastal capital is better. The trade route bonus combined with bureacracy alone makes the idea interesting. And I do like coastal starts that contain 2 or 3 water tiles.

But more often than not, I find inland starts more enjoyable.
          LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

No pref, depends a lot... I'd like a good spot, weither it's inland or with seaview. Too much water will halt your earliy production and too barren land will slow our capital's growth.

Comment

I prefer ocean. My capital does not need to be the strongest building city, but it needs to be able to quickly get a few workers/settlers out; and fish resources are the best for that (and technology also).
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

On the ocean. Opens trade quickly.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Ocean for me as well...for the same reasons given.
                  "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                  "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Ocean.. on top of a plains/hills square.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I might prefer ocean-front property, but I am not about to spend turns searching for it. I'll move my warrior the first turn to get a look, but Roma WILL be built in the first turn!

Comment

I'd argue that a land based start is preferable to an ocean start, for these reasons:
                        1. The resources can be developed with workers, which are not one use units. You build a worker, and it should be yours to use for the rest of the game, where as you spend 30 hammers on a work boat and you can only improve one tile with it.
                        2. You can grow in more than one direction, so you can get more land nd have a better placed capital for maintenence reasons.
                        3. More land tiles means more cottages. Cottages are hands down better than coast and sea tiles for developed cities to work (and as you are building workers and not work boats you are going to have workers to make cottages...).

Though this is only for pangaea/continent starts. For an archi/islands map I'd prefer the ocean start because it'd make it easier to get the collosus and GL that are so much more important.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                        X