• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your favorite map settings?

Cold,
    High Sea Level
    Archipelgo.

Resources are scarce and it gives the early year a adventurous feel to it, as you struggle just to find suitable land in the tundra/mountains for your people.

I guess I've never been that sadistic to even try a cold map. But I guess that it would prove an intresting game...

For the most part, I chicken-out and always go for a Temporate climate with high sea levels...I vary on the land-type selections.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
      I guess I've never been that sadistic to even try a cold map. But I guess that it would prove an intresting game...

Indeed it does. The AI QUICKLY snatches up every green spot possible. And when sea level is high, there just isnt that much too go around so you get some crazy conflicts on continents. Another thing is colonial expansions are usually done on far flung Icebergs, and extremely difficult to pacify and protect.

Usually I will Have 10 players on a Large map. Bye 1000 BC border conflicts/disputes erupt everywhere due to land and resource problems. AI is cool like that.

Try it, promise you will love it. If you like Challenges anyway

Comment

I usually play the earth 18 civs map.
        "'Let there be light!' said God, and there was light.
        'Let there be blood!' says man, and there's a sea!"

Comment

Standard Size Pangaea, Normal Climate, Natural Shoreline, 10 Enemy Civs.

I do play the occasional Hemispheres, Terra or Continents too, but I've never made changes in the climate or anything like that, there's plenty of tundra, ice, desert and jungle to begin with.
          "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Large
            Hemispheres
            Temperate
            Natural shorelines
            High sealevels
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

18 civs,
              Huge,
              3 land masses,
              9 continents,
              Evenly distributed continents,
              Normal continent placement,
              No overseas trade before astronomy,
              65% ocean,
              Rougher coastlines,
              Normal hills,
              Normal peaks,
              All mountain ranges,
              Temperate,
              Normal desert,
              Normal plains,
              Normal jungle,
              Normal forest,
              Normal flood plains,
              Custom resource options.

[/shameless plug]
              LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

I like Huge temperate maps, high sea level, archipelago, on marathon with 8 starting civs (you end up with LOTS more due to colonies), and balanced resources.

One thing I've found on this type game even with balanced resources is that oil is SCARCE! The game I'm in now has only 1 oil resource on land, and only 4 at sea. Things can get pretty nasty if you don't have one. (I have one of the sea oils, so I pushed to get plastics).

Leo

Comment

Standard Pangea or Large Hemisphere

Comment

Big n small
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Smart Map, 100X48, 80% Water, 8 civs, epic. All else set to standard. No tech brockering, all other rules standard. Smart maps are dry and sometimes desert next to river is just desert.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo-T
                        I like Huge temperate maps, high sea level, archipelago, on marathon with 8 starting civs (you end up with LOTS more due to colonies), and balanced resources.

One thing I've found on this type game even with balanced resources is that oil is SCARCE! The game I'm in now has only 1 oil resource on land, and only 4 at sea. Things can get pretty nasty if you don't have one. (I have one of the sea oils, so I pushed to get plastics).

Leo
                        Can you elaborate on balanced? Does that mean 1 thing for eveybody?

FG

Comment

I believe it means that every civ is guaranteed to have one of each of [certain specific] strategic resources within a certain distance of its starting spot.
                          LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Working...
                          X