Cannot get past loading screen.. PLEASE help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot get past loading screen.. PLEASE help

After I installed Civilization IV to my computer (under the directory C:\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4), I've been unable to run the program with any consistency.

I've only been successful once in beginning a game, and since that time, every time I attempt to load the game, it will freeze on the initial loading screen before the game acutally runs (this screen is the one before the progress bar that eventually leads into the Firaxis introductory movie and the CivIV intro movie). Often, after a few minutes of doing nothing, a Microsoft error message will declare that the program has experienced an error and must close.

My computer meets the system requirements, and I'll include below a list of my basic hardware:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600)
    Processor: Intel Core Duoprocessor T2500 (2MB/2GHz/667MHz)
    Memory: 1GB RAM
    Hard Disk Space: over 40 GB free
    Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

This is a new Dell Inspiron laptop that I recently purchased, and this is the first time I've had trouble with running a game. In fact, every other program or game that I run on CD-ROM has no trouble in starting up.

I also have installed the included package for DirectX 9.0c as well as the most recent patch for the game.

Again, I'd like to make it clear that the game has run before on my computer, and it did so with no slow-down and no problems to speak of, but now it just refuses to start up.

You should first upgrade your DirectX to the most recent DirectX, if you haven't done so already. The most recent patch requires a more recent 9.0c build than the game came with initially, and I don't think the vanilla 1.74 included that.

If that doesn't work, uninstall, delete the above mentioned install folder as well as the my documents folder, and reinstall...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
    X