please stop trading with....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please stop trading with....

Very regularly, some AI civ will pop up and tell me I should stop trading with someone else. But, the sad fact is, I don't always remember what trade agreements I have with the targeted 3rd party. Is there any way to immediately find out, so I can make a more informed decision as to whether I should, in fact, stop trading with them?

You can click on the Foreign Advisor icon while talking to the AI, from there you can see what active trades you have.

Comment

No, there's not much you can do (a real oversight, imho). This is probably the dozenth time I've said something like this in one thread or another, but once again, even SMAC - which is what, ten years old? - managed to have exactly this function ("yes/no/consult datalinks"). Grrr

For the record "trade" in this context could refer to open borders, even in the absence of any resource trading.

Comment

Originally posted by ben_vii
        You can click on the Foreign Advisor icon while talking to the AI, from there you can see what active trades you have.
        Really?! Never knew that. Wait, are you talking about the normal AI dialog, where you're got the full screen "negotiating table" options, or are you talking about the pop-up dialog where you have yes/no options only?

Comment

Thx, ben_vii, I should have able to figure this one out for myself. Although, like Ari, I must admit, a button in the dialog box would have been a thoughtful addition!

And, to get trickier yet, perhaps one could split the difference by cancelling some, but not all, current deals. When this dialog pops up, you are going to suffer a relations hit with one of the parties, either a "you stopped trading wiht us," or a "you refused to stop trading with ..."; why does the relations hit have to be all or nothing with each the two parties?

As another alternative, if you refuse the request, and don't stop trading, shouldn't this be worth a boost in relations with the civ you didn't stop trading with?

Comment

Wait, are you talking about the normal AI dialog, where you're got the full screen "negotiating table" options, or are you talking about the pop-up dialog where you have yes/no options only?
            Now I'm not so sure, but I think it applies to both. This was a really annoying problem in vanilla but I think it was fixed in Warlords if not BTS?

Comment

Originally posted by razbo9999
              As another alternative, if you refuse the request, and don't stop trading, shouldn't this be worth a boost in relations with the civ you didn't stop trading with?
              Agreed. I understand that it's a mechanism to keep the human player from being overwhelming loved by the whole world later in the game, but it is annoying. I too would like to see you get some type of + with the civ that you don't turn your back on. Even if it was only half of the negative you're getting. It just makes sense that if you refuse to turn you back on your bud after being asked by every other civ multiple times, you should at least get something out of it.

On top of that, I would love to see the AI discussions too.
              Monty asked Alexander to stop trading with you but Alexander told him to stuff it.
              Maybe these messages would be avail at a certain espionage level, since they would have value.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah

On top of that, I would love to see the AI discussions too.
                Monty asked Alexander to stop trading with you but Alexander told him to stuff it.
                Maybe these messages would be avail at a certain espionage level, since they would have value.
                I haven't checked a lot, but I don't remember ever seeing an AI with a diplomatic penalty toward another AI from having refused a demand. As best I can tell, either AIs don't issue demands to each other at all, or they are free to reject each other's demands without suffering any kind of diplomatic penalty. I find that double standard extremely annoying, and really wish there were a way to turn the demands mechanism off.

Comment

We do know that AI asks other AI to join wars against you, so I'm sure they do make demands but probably don't suffer the negatives.

Annoying yes, but it does force you decide who your friends are going to be, so it's tolerable. There's no place for fence sitting for civ players.

And when we play MP, our demands of other players are few and have more repercussions. Kind of like the AI not demanding from each other.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Personally I think it should only ask this when you have something besides open borders.

The optimum solution whenever they ask you to cancel a deals and just have open border is just reload the last turn and manually cancel the deal yourself and reopen it laster.

The saying "YES" gives you -1 on whoever you stop trading with and trades not possiable for a random number of turns. And dispite a message saying the civ demanding was successful, no actual improvement.

The saying "NO" gives you -1 with the damander. But the person your trading with is not pleased.

The going back and canceling it yourself avoids all diplomatic penalties and doesn't prevent you from adding a new trade deal the next turn.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                    X