Blockading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockading

Okay, I used ONE privateer in between 3 island cities (different isles) to blockade and not only did it plunder all 3, but it prevented all 3 cities from working any sea tiles in it's 'blockade' zone. 1 couldn't use any tiles, and was starved to size 1.

Seems a wee bit powerful to me.

Also I think that Firaxis could make a less powerful land version, aka the 'seige' tactic we've been asking for since, I dunno, the CivIII Wishlist...

discuss.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

OK the privateer is one unit - but mostly we have treated this as representional and accepted that the effect of one unit may be more like the effect of a fleet or an army. As in one transport carrying quite a sizeable force.

You can blockade resources on land. I am doubtful about blockading cities. Trade along roads in Total War is disrupted by the presence of rebels or enemy forces but I am not sure I miss that in Civ.

Comment

I doubt that even 1 fleet could disrupt the flow of goods as efficiently and in as wide an area as I did. It needs to be toned down.
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I disagree. If it's toned down it will lose its gameplay value.

I notice you didn't even mention that you made any efforts to break the blockade... you simply let him do it to you until all your cities were starved down.

Wodan

Comment

A little off topic but it's like when you have troops all around a city and there is one tile to escape through. The AI Civ sends horsemen through there to attack your flanks. There should be a ZOD (Zone of Defense) around your troops so they cannot get through, at least without a movement penalty of some sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by wodan11
            I disagree. If it's toned down it will lose its gameplay value.

I notice you didn't even mention that you made any efforts to break the blockade... you simply let him do it to you until all your cities were starved down.

Wodan
            Re-read it... I did it to the AI. And yes, he let me get away with it for a loong time, until I sank one of his galleons.

And I don't think it'd lose gameplay value. The +6 gold/turn was nice, w/ or w/o the starving cities (which didn't help or hurt me).

Comment

When you can't see over the horizon, such results do seem a bit much.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Logicman, I believe that was a feature of Civ 1.

Comment

Working...
                X