No announcement yet.

Plunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM we could start a comparisson game if you wanted. You, me and anyone else wanting to play through teh game could play it through and write a detailed report about how to play the game and why they made the decisions they made. Sort of like an AU game but unofficial.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I was just considering your offer, Krill, but then i realized if i get the wrong civ/leader and/or starting position my log would look like that:

4000 BC : Decided to quit the game because >reason above<
      - the end -

DM, You and I seem to be pretty similar players. Stuck in patterns on prince. I refuse to slave-rush. That would take away my "good-boy-flavor" (does this sound gay ? ). But no-tech-brockering is actually my favorite addition to BTS - try it, i says...

Comment

Easy Street -- very good point. The midgame feels bogged down compared to the start and that contributes to my restarts. I'm also too much of a perfectionist (see my comment regarding pillaging). If I think that I've played suboptimally, the temptation to try again from scratch is pretty overwhelming. Obviously, this is a flawed approach and isn't going to get the job done at higher difficulties -- there are going to be temporary setbacks. I've read enough of the reports in AU and Realms Beyond to see that, if you're a good player, you can recover from the loss of a city or two even.

Krill, I played the tri-league tourney game 3 just so that I'd be able to compare my game to others. Unfortunately I started it once, got bored, deleted, then came back to it later and played through. When I did the restart, I tried to minimize the impact by replicating my first try to the best of my ablilities, but obviously it's going to be a flawed comparison. Still, I'm looking forward to reading those reports. I haven't started 4 yet -- I usually play Epic, so I haven't been as excited about a normal speed game. I will probably play it eventually. I'd play another comparison game though if people are willing --that sound interesting.

Regarding the suggestion to read up on whipping. Do you have a particular thread in mind? A fair amount has changed -- I remember something about a "whipping bug" which I never really understood. The way I generally use whipping is to grow up to one past the happy cap then use that useless pop point to double whip a building. The result puts you right at the temporary happy cap, at which point you can start regrowing as the whipping anger bleeds off. If I have mucho excess happy, I will do one turn of building on a unit then single whip in order to build up the army a bit. Once I reach the age of banks and universities I'm not shy about whipping down a bunch of pop to get those expensive buildings up quickly in hammer poor cities.
        I wouldn't be surprised if any of this if flat out wrongheaded. Also, I never really do the calculations (X pop whipped = Y Hammers, which will yeild Z overflow...) so I'm not sure if that's truly necessary or not.

Thanks
        The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

This is an old thread but details most of the important aspects (for normal speed. I don't know what holds for epic/marathon and what breaks). Slaving at 0 hammers has been fixed, other than that I know very little. If blake has a few minutes I'm sure he'll dtail the important changes...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Thanks,

I read that thread once upon a time, but probably wasn't at at point where I could really make good use of the info. Very helpful now.

If you're interested in a comparison game let me know and I can post a save.
            The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Working...
            X