Technical help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical help?

Is this the place to post any technical questions on Civ 4? I see no other place.

I'll go ahead, just in case:

Firstly....I play, invariably, on my laptop. Not sure the laptop has liked it, and the game seems to be an immense resource hog. I tend to just Ctl-Esc out of games, and leave them running. I reboot my computers only when necessary. The more I do this with the Civ game, my computer starts to really act up. Takes maybe 5 minutes for the Civ screen to even reappear. Well, now, suddenly, the game is quitting on me, midgame. The graphics go beyond safe mode, and get blurry. I get an error message that the ialmrnt5displaydriver has stopped working, or some such thing. I don't know where to start with this. The game has worked on this laptop for months, now suddenly this. I downloaded the HOF mod from CivFanatics, and was playing it last night, when I tried to Retire from the game, on the end game replay screen, it really hosed up my computer. I have to think maybe this has something to do with it. But, I don't know how to fix it. The other difference is just yesterday, I started trying Window mode, to see if that made it easier to go in and out of the game, rather than the insufferable wait times. Could that also have something to do with it?

Secondly, I had to reinstall Civ 4, this past week. I kept my old folder, however. How can I transfer the Hall of Fame? I searched and found a file named civhalloffamescreen.py, inside Assets/Python/Screens, and transferred that to the new 1.74 file, thinking that must be it, being it was the only file I found. Nope. I still have a blank Hall of Fame. I sure don't want to lose all the efforts I've made so far, so I hope I can do this.

Thanks. Bill

Post your computer's specs please. Particularly how much memory you have (Civ4 is a memory hog).

Your best bet is probably to just save and exit when you're done playing, rather than minimizing.

Comment

In my experience, if you leave Civ on for long enough, it kills your computer. You need to load it only when you play and exit it when you don't play. Sometimes if it gets too slow during play, save exit and enter again.

I believe this is some sort of memory leak.

Comment

Working...
      X