BtS performance issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BtS performance issue

I'm sure there has been many posts regarding how Civ 4 in general, and BtS starts to slow down considerably the deeper into a game you get. Being a new member here I haven't read all the posts regarding this issue, but can somebody tell me in general what tweaks can be made to speed up gameplay either with the computer settings, or options in the game itself?

The only real way to avoid late-game slowdown is to play on smaller maps with fewer civs. Unfortunately, nothing else you can do will have that much of an effect.

If you have 1GB of memory or less on your computer, making sure you have as much memory available to Civ as possible (by e.g. closing other programs you have running in the background) can help.

Comment

A couple of very basic things to consider:

Smaller maps and fewer civs. Maybe small hemispheres map with 6 civs.

Make sure your PC has plenty of memory/video memory.
      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Hey Kuci, beat me to it.
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Since I added 2m of ram to my 228k, I have not had any issues. I added back all the computer settings as well. It slows on the huge maps but not significantly enough to make the game unplayable.

Comment

There is one setting that can be changed, I don't recall what it's called, but it's in the INI file; it prevents alt-tabbing, but saves some memory. Not sure how much it helps.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by logicman49
              Since I added 2m of ram to my 228k, I have not had any issues.
              Where on earth would you get 228K memory? I thought they always came in denominations of 256.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

Where on earth would you get 228K memory? I thought they always came in denominations of 256.
                Integrated graphics on the motherboard will suck up 32 megs, 64, 128, or 256 megs depending on the setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Targonis

Integrated graphics on the motherboard will suck up 32 megs, 64, 128, or 256 megs depending on the setting.
                  That still follows the pattern based on 8 bits to a byte, which RAM usually uses. Where would 228 come from? It doesn't fit into the scheme at all.

Comment

Geez. I was counting in my head and went to multiply 256 to see what I ended up with and I divided the 56 by 2. Didn't you see the math?

Comment

I don't seem to have any more problems as warlords. I just finished a large map. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I turned the graphics down to minimum. Strangely, I can't notice much difference between the high and low settings. I still keep animations on, because I like to see the fish jumping .

Just finished a large archipelago map. Looks like I started off with 9 civs. but ended up with 14. Not sure how that happened. They let their colonies break off? I'm still not familiar with that rule, and can't imagine why I would do that for my own cities.

Comment

Yeah, they split off colonies because the maintenence from islands with mroe than 1 city on them cost way too much to keep (which messes with archi maps.)
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I would disagree strongly on cut off points.

2 is the level that feels any colony maintenace.

But really, even without courthouses it's not that significant until there are 5 of them.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                          X