Devious win strategy, maybe...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devious win strategy, maybe...

I'm playing a game of hemispheres/large/marathon with 12 (I think?) AI's, maybe more on Monarch.

I ended up on a thin continent that had only 2 other civs, so there was some early alarm bells knowing that I might fall behind in tech. I ended up expanding pretty rapidly, found another largeish island and put a few cities on that. I came to a stage for a short while where I ground my economy to a halt so I granted freedom to the island and let my mate Mao stay in charge (colonising is a great addition).

Anyhow, as my economy picked up and I started to tech faster and move away in points from my local rivas I knew I had to go for compass and find some other civ's out there. But before I found anyone, Mehmet found us. So he was the guy that kept popping all those wonders in a land far away. Needless to say the bloke thinks he's come across a bunch of savages. He has a huge tech lead (so far as I can see) and he's created lots of wonders - which leads me to believe that maybe the other civs aren't as advanced and that may be my only saviour.

But as I was sitting here at work, feeling quite disheartend, I came across an idea. Maybe I can catch up in tech, because it's still generally early days, but what if I try winning via the AP. I founded the world's largest religion and Washington built the palace. Stalin has my religion and likes me better than George, and my new colony China will back me all the way.

So all I need to do is get my religion to these heathens. Easier said than done, Mehmet already hates me and I bet his friends will feel the same when they come and visit.

But, maybe I could found some cities on some islands and one or two around my colony - spread my religion to them and then gift one to each and every rival I finally meet.... It's devious, but would it work?

In this manner, the Apostolic Palace functions just like the United Nations: The two candidates for residence (Secretary General) or diplomatic victory are not open to debate. One is always the civilization that controls the wonder, which means Washington in this case. The second is the largest of the other members. In the case of the UN, it's the civ with the highest total population. In the case of the AP, it's the civ with the highest total population of that religion. I think it splits the population of any city with multiple religions evenly between them, so a size 18 metropolis that has Hinduism, Judaism, and Christianity in it would be worth less than a size 10 city that is solely Christian.

It's possible to win, but it's going to be difficult. First, you either have to make certain that you either gain ownership of the city with the Apostolic Palace from Washington (thus guaranteeing your candidacy) or make absolutely certain that NOBODY has more XXXX population than you. You didn't mention which religion the AP is.

Second, diplomatic victory through the AP is not always available. I think it's only possible once a certain percentage of the worlds population shares that religion. So here's what you need to win a diplomatic victory through the Apostolic Palace.

1) spread that religion throughout the world until the diplomatic victory becomes available.
    2) ensure that you are a candidate, either by owning the palace or by having the most people of that religion
    3) make sure you are liked better than your opponent by the majority of the members of the AP.

I think cultural victory might be a better option in your case, but I don't know if that's possible now.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

I don't think the AI would accept your cities... it shouldn't, anyways.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

No it won't accept my cities. I believe that was just a pipe dream.

I think it's too late for cultural, not that I've ever won that way but I just haven't built enough early wonders or settled any great people. I can certainly capture the AP though and spread my religion. It turns out the Judaism is the largest with around 25%, Hinduism was on around 20% and my religion Confucianism is also around 20%.

Does it have to be the biggest or just a certain percent? Also do you think there is any viable means to catch up in tech if you know the other landmass is much more advanced?

Comment

Originally posted by ben_vii
          Does it have to be the biggest or just a certain percent?
          No, to win via AP the religion must be spread at ALL civs in the game, at least one city, so all civs can vote.

Since 3.13 you cant vote if you have all necessary votes to win by yourself.

Comment

Incendently, I think it was this AP loophole that led to the rule being applied to diplomatic victory and both AP and the UN have the same basic logic as far as counting the ballots. It's just that under the AP, cities that don't have that religion don't get a vote.

Originally posted by Zebek

No, to win via AP the religion must be spread at ALL civs in the game, at least one city, so all civs can vote.

Since 3.13 you cant vote if you have all necessary votes to win by yourself.
            1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
            Templar Science Minister
            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
            X