No announcement yet.

Can I capture a barb city with culture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I capture a barb city with culture?

I got one near my cap and I'm building the lighthouse and its in such a good spot, oh please please please say yes...

I have iron near my cap too so it's no big deal, but still.
    Last edited by Lancer; November 5, 2007, 00:41.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

How about just capturing it directly? It would take aeons to capture it by culture if it's not already in your cultural boundaries.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I have captured barb cities with culture, so yes it is possible, and does not take all that long once your influence extends to the city square. Need to make sure no AI civ captures it if you wait though.

Comment

Snoopy, that's what I ended up doing. An archer came out so I put one of mine next to it and the barb city. The one already out attacked my archer and lost, so then one from the city attacked and also lost, leaving only one. I had one Praetorian so I moved him up and attacked and took the city. Rather proud of my archer that took two hits. He was down less than 2 points.

trev, my cap border had one corner at the barb city so maybe it would have fallen soon, and maybe that's why the archers came out...

Comment

They came out because barbs aren't all that bright. I've found many evacuated barb cities because the forces occasionally just wander off instead of garrisoning.

Me.

Comment

Totally evacuated eh? Haven't seen any of that yet.

Comment

I have also had barb cities culture flip.

There are some pluses to waiting. You get immediate benefit from the city once it does flip for one and for another in the meantime you can use the city and its surrounds as a training ground for your units.

Barb cities are also a magnet for AI units so you might also use it as a lure so as to ambush enemy units send to invest or attack the barb city.

Comment

Damn that's good stuff EST.

Comment

Can barbs capture cities via culture flip?
                  THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                  AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                  AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                  DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I don't think it's realistically possible, although I don't see why it's not theoretically possible; I've certainly seen barb cities with culture.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Munich

Comment

I like to send my units to the barb city for XP. The city will eventually flip to me so I use it for training my units.

However, if another civ is close by I will capture the barb city quickly.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I really hate when I have my units next to a barb city, waiting for it to grow to size two so that I can capture it instead of destroying it... and some AI comes up and kills it before it grows
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That is annoying. I have declared war on an AI for that before. They didn't do it again.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

When you play the earth map and don't get to the new world too early, the barb civ there is usually quite healthy.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X