Civ4 on Linux, How-To

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ4 on Linux, How-To

Want to run Civilization IV on Linux but having problems? This How-To published by Tombuntu may help you out. It provides detailed steps on how to get the game going in Wine on Ubuntu, though it should work for other distributions as well. The article is an update to a previously released write-up:

At the time when Civ 4 was released, DirectX 9 was not well enough supported in Wine to run it. In the first how-to I got Civ 4 running just after DX9 support was added to Wine. Since then Wine has continued to improve and I got a computer with a better Nvidia graphics card.

In this how-to I am using an Nvidia Geforce 8600GT graphics card, Wine version 0.9.44, and Ubuntu 7.10.

There are still a few issues though, such as city progress meters and globe view not working, waves not animating and some trees being sunken into the ground (which sounds like it might be the low-graphics textures for jungle). Still, if you're a Linux hippie it beats having to boot to Windows
    Last edited by Locutus; November 2, 2007, 13:57.
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

For the record:

I've tried, briefly, to get Civ4 running under Wine with no success. However, I did manage to get it running quite fine under Cedega. In fact, I've been playing it from under Cedega for some time now and it works fine, although it performs a bit worse than from Windows.

Wine is worth a try, though, it's generally pretty good. I wasn't able to get past what is step 3 in that how-to, but yeah, worth a try
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
    X