Civ IV, Mac Mini and Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ IV, Mac Mini and Windows

I'm thinking of buying a Mac. As I don't really have much money now the first step is a Mac Mini to replace my current PC (and to later use it as a media center). I plan to dualboot (use bootcamp) and use Windows and MacOS concurrently.

Has anyone tried Civ IV in Windows on a Mac Mini? How does it work? Should I buy the slightly more powerful one? Is 1 Gb enough RAM or do I need 2? Should I just not buy it and save up for an iMac? I don't want to pay for a Mac-version (if there is one) so playing in MacOS is out of the question.

I would guess that it would run on bootcamp okay, based on what I recall of the specs. 2GB is always better than one of course, but 1GB is enough to play. I don't recall the video card they have in there (or rather video chip, as it's onboard) but I think it is enough for Civ.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

While I do not have any experience yet with Boot Camp or Parallels, I would not trust a Mac Mini with a windows game. Because the Mac Mini has integrated graphics: "Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory."

I intend to go with the mid-range iMac (ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB of GDDR3 memory) and 2GB RAM. Waiting for savings to match ambition;
      ... currently running an old iMac G4 from almost 6 years ago for all my non-Civ needs.

Comment

Working...
      X