Great Wonder Synergy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Wonder Synergy

The National Wonder Synergy thread was very useful.

So in that vein, if you go after Great Wonders, which do you prioritize and which do you try to get in the same city?
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Some World Wonders synergize with certain National Wonders, of course.

Spiral Minaret has synergy with Wall Street, and University of Sankore with Oxford University.

Comment

Not as much as you would like, though. Unlike a shrine or corp HQ, where all the gold is generated in the city with the shrine/hq, the research or money is generated in each city that has the buildings of the state religion.
      Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

The only synergy for a particular city that I can think of would be the great people points... for instance, a city with:

Great Lighthouse
        Colossus

Would crank out Merchants.

Stonehenge/Oracle = prophets. Pyramids/Gardens = engineers. And so forth.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
          The only synergy for a particular city that I can think of would be the great people points... for instance, a city with:

Great Lighthouse
          Colossus

Would crank out Merchants.

Stonehenge/Oracle = prophets. Pyramids/Gardens = engineers. And so forth.

-Arrian
          Good point... when it comes to World Wonders, I do tend to build them in cities to maximize the right kind of GP... assuming all other factors being equal
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't, because I find that if I try that level of MM, I will lose wonders I could've built, but in the "wrong" city. Meh.

Plus, I worry less about "polluting" a city's GPP pool in BtS, because now I like using GP on golden ages more. An unwanted Great Artist (for instance) is now potentially useful, either for the next golden age, or the one after that...

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

yeah... and that's why I do like a mix of GP. Nothing worse than getting all of one kind, making the later GA's harder to trigger.

And I did say all things being equal. I'm not going to try building a wonder in a city if the production isn't good enough to get it built before I think somebody else will.

I do love combining the early wonders to get the right kind of GP early on. After that, you are right, it really doesn't matter much unless you are getting too many of a single kind.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, Great Lighthouse and Temple of Artemis is a classic example. They don't really have to be in the same city, either. Another one is Pyramids spawned Great Engieer to pop the Great Library (Representation and two free Scientists). I guess the Mausoleum of Maussollos and the Taj Mahal. The Eiffel Tower with Rock 'n' Roll/Broadway/Hollywood.

Darrell

Comment

If your going for the most GPs and don't particularly care which type, then building all the World Wonders in a single city (+ the National Epic) will work best.

If however your desiring is city X build Phopets / City Y build Merchants, then in city X build only Religious Great Wonders in a holy city (+ it's shrine & almost certinately Wall Street).

In City Y build the Merchant wonders, in City Z build Enginner wonders.

For just about everything else, world wonders power is more than just local.
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Personally I like to build cities with a theme. I generally make my capital build wonders that generate Great Prophets such as Stonehenge (which I build pretty much as a rule) along with possibly the Oracle. I also try and make my second city into a moneymaker, preferably building it on the coast with a river running near and possibly some trade resources, if such are available and then proceeding to try and build trade wonders, usually starting with Temple of Artemis (although sometimes I build this in my capital) followed shortly after by the Lighthouse and completed with the Colossus. If I should ever be so lucky to get these three up in one coastal city with a trade resource my game is pretty much set (I play Monarch or Emperor). Now, it's very rare to get all three especially on Emperor due to interference from the AI and barbs but this is my goal. Capital also attempts to build the Great Wall (I HATE barbs)

My third city is usually focused on high production. I try to locate a spot which preferably has atleast one food resource or a few tiles of flood plains and atleast 5 hill squares (resources are naturally a bonus) and for wonders I try and get pyramids (chop chop) and afterwards the Hanging Gardens. As you can see here, I'm a huge fan of ancient wonders and it's very rarely that I get all these but since I thorouhgly enjoy building my cities with a theme and a specific great person focus this is a natural way for me to approach things.

As for the Great People produced, the first one is usually a Great Prophet who I use to create the center for my religion (if I have one) or save him until I get one. I never get one of the first two religions but I get the one from Code of Laws quite often and pretty generally the one from Philosophy. After this both Great Prophets and Merchants will go and settle at my coastal moneymaker town and make it even more powerful moneywise. I'll admit that putting all my eggs in one basket has cost me the game a few times but generally this works for me and keeps my economy afloat for the entire game without ever having to go below 70% research for more than a few turns (the last moments before researching currency and supporting some 5-6 towns can be a handful at times)

I'm not big on Great Artists but when the artist wonders start piling up I try and place them on my bordering cities because of the high cultural value. I also find it to be a very convenient way of attaining resources by pushing the border a bit further (but everyone knows this). Statue of Zeus is very good when you're playing aggressively and really does pay off and if you happen to get Stonehenge it's really easy to get as well.

I'll just not get into lategame wonder synergies because some of them are just so self-evident. However, I do stick to my theme even as the game progresses.
                    Last edited by Fleme; October 30, 2007, 06:33.
                    "The state is nothing but an instrument of oppression of one class by another--no less so in a democratic republic than in a monarchy."

Comment

Originally posted by darrelljs
                      Well, Great Lighthouse and Temple of Artemis is a classic example.
                      That's one of the best, of course. It's even better with the special cathigean harbor building.

Other good combos:

National epic+great library in the same city is good, although of course there's a risk of a great artist.

Statue of Liberty+ Angkor Wat is a good combination; I guess you could throw the The Sistine Chapel in there too.

Comment

Working...
                      X