Can't Build Great Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Build Great Library

There seems to be a change in the new patch. I don't know if it's a new bug, or if it's intended to work this way.

I got Literature and set one of my cities to build the Great Library, but I had accidentally set it to the wrong city. A couple of turns later, I realized my mistake. I went to the city that was building the Great Library and changed it so that it was building the Lighthouse. I then went to my capital city. I wanted to build the GL there, but it wouldn't let me. It was grayed out. (Yes, I had a library in the city.) I checked all of my other cities and the GL was grayed out in all of them. I checked, but no one else had built it. The only thing that happened between the time I started building the GL in the wrong city and the time when I was going to build it in my capital was that I got the Pyramids and changed to Representation. Could that be why I couldn't build the GL? When I change to Representation does the game assume that I'm in a later era when you aren't allowed to build the GL?

Maybe the great library is in a city queue somewhere
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Did you remove the GL from the production queue in the city that was building it, or did you just put something else at the top? It has to be completely gone from the queue before you can assign another city to build it.
      Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

I think Quillan and Kataphraktoi have probably got the answer. I've been caught before by the failure to take something out of the build queue when I wanted to build it elsewhere.

RJM
        Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

Dang, I left it in the build queue. I could have sworn that I'd removed it but I was obviously mistaken. Thanks for the assistance, guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan
            Did you remove the GL from the production queue in the city that was building it, or did you just put something else at the top? It has to be completely gone from the queue before you can assign another city to build it.
            And when your new city builds the GL you will get some from your original city being unable to complete the GL.
            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I've done that intentionally a few times when I'm strapped for cash.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yep. Actually that's one of my "sore spots" with SE detractors over on CFC. People say Pyramids are so essential. But, if you try and fail, you get a buttload of cash, at the optimum exchange rate. This lets you run your science slider at a loss for quite a while, which is a huge benefit early game.

And, if you were trying for a SE and missed the Pyramids, you can always switch over to a CE.

Frankly, even if I am thinking CE from game start, my first few improvements are usually farms. Why? Because it kick-starts my city and boosts pop. This increases size and/or lets me whip better. Either way, farms are the best starting improvement for a CE. Later, you cottage them over.

... anyway, I digress.

Wodan

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er

And when your new city builds the GL you will get some from your original city being unable to complete the GL.
                  Rah goes on to state he's done this on purpose for the $. However, how do you start it in a second city without removing from the first city's queue, which sacrifices the production? Or am I missing something?
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Even if it's been removed from the queue, it is still partially prebuilt (and if you went back to building it, you would get the hammers, with some degradation from time if it's been a long time); however you can go and build it elsewhere while doing this.
                    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So you will be compensated for that partial build when someone else builds it? Even if the wonder is not in that city's queue? If so, that's neat!
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Yep.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Under normal circumstances, any thing you started building and stopped remains able to be continued later, unless every hammer applied to it has already decayed. Since wonders are unique, any hammers remaining in a wonder you'll never be able to finish get converted to gold. I've had cases where I started building a wonder in one city, decided it would be better elsewhere and switched off. When the second city finished, I got gold from the unfinished production in the first city.
                          Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Yep... sometimes when I have a new city that I want to use to build military units, but isn't yet connected to the resource, I start it building on a wonder so I can get some free cash later.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                            X