Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait. What??? Barbarians founded Judaism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do barb players get events?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      They also used to build wonders. This was discovered (and fixed) when I posted a screenshot of a barb city that had built the Great Wall.
      Can the Barbs utilize wonders given them via the Worldbuilder? Do the Barbs receive the same benefits as a regular Civ for a state religion?

Originally posted by Blake
      Barbs can tech, but most the time they don't, because their upkeeps are so high and they have no palace.
      Why are the Barbs upkeeps so high? And if the Barbs are given a Palace via the Worldbuilder (or editing of the appropriate files), then how do they act?

D

Comment

Barbs can tech, but most the time they don't, because their upkeeps are so high and they have no palace. This means they usually run a negative economy - which they get a free pass on (ie going negative doesn't cause units to get disbanded).
        Most of the barb techs comes from freebies (sort of like a mini-internet), but they CAN research.
        Where is barb distance maintenance calculated from?
        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
        The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Will

To quote Conan the Barbarian, "uhhh, infinity??"

Wodan

Comment

They teched it. I've had Barbarians found Christianity before.

I laughed.

Me.

Comment

In the past, I have ran into a barbarian city as well that founded a religion - it too was Judaism...at the time, I just thought it was a fluke and took the city over - now I'm not too sure.
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by Will

barbs get a "no palace penalty" instead of distance costs. which is unfair really, since palace is on the list of things barbs aren't allowed to build!

Most of the barb techs comes from freebies (sort of like a mini-internet), but they CAN research.
                this isn't the kind of research you mean, but i have to post this since it really made me giggle. i played a very silly game once where i WBd myself spies for every civ, and barbs, early on. i wanted to see what they did, research paths, money issues, etc. at one point the barbs were researching Alphabet. i was dubious, since this was warlords where you can even build a spaceship without alphabet (well, not if you're the barbs, but you know). they can't trade techs so why do they need alphabet?

i figured it out later:

they were so desperate to learn how to ride ponies that they wanted to invest their 5 hammers into building research. later, when they got emancipation unhappiness, they ran the culture slider at 20%, so they were planning ahead i suppose.

i posted a Highly Scientific Research Report on that other forum, for folks as easily amused as i am.

@Blake ... why are barbs not allowed to build work boats? poor guys.

Comment

Barbarians should be treated as independant minor civilizations Maybe even have unique minor civs like in galciv2.
                  A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestioned ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister.

Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing, sooner than war

Comment

They are minor civs, and should be able to found religions.

As minor civs, it makes sense that they can found religions. In Civ 4, religions can be used peacefully or militarily, and so even the militant Barbarians should be able to found them.

Comment

Well, I noticed before that Barbarian cities tended to have stronger units than they had just appear...

But still, I love the idea of Barbarian wonders. If they had the Great Wall, did they have to leave their own territory?
                      I don't know what I've been told!
                      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                      Love to press the Buster Switch!
                      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Or did it keep the civilized players units out?

Originally posted by gdijedi7
                        Well, I noticed before that Barbarian cities tended to have stronger units than they had just appear...

But still, I love the idea of Barbarian wonders. If they had the Great Wall, did they have to leave their own territory?
                        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                        Templar Science Minister
                        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Yeah. Us civilized peoples can't figgure out how to get over the pile of rocks the Barbarians piled up to keep us out.

But seriously...if they have the wherewithal to build that, they're not barbarians.
                          I don't know what I've been told!
                          Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                          Love to press the Buster Switch!
                          Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

The barb Great Wall did nothing, as far as I could tell (I did some testing in the WB).

Comment

Working...
                            X