Failure to whack culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to whack culture

Folks, I was finishing a Noble game as Darius, waiting for my fully equipped spaceship to land on Alpha Centauri.
    Had pots of gold and noticed that the Maya were the only other civ with legendary cities.
    So, decided to go for a cultural victory by destroying all the culture producing buildings in his legendary cities.
    I did wipe out almost all of them before my spaceship landed, but his culture numbers didn't budge.

Why might this be?

OFogy
    Megalomania in front of a computer screen is preferable to megalomania Out There.

culture is cumulative- you can't subtract culture from a city- just slow the rate of growth. Your other alternative is to capture/raze the city

Comment

Wouldn't you have gotten to Alpha Centauri before they won from culture?

Comment

Thanks Tsubame.
        Cyrus the Mike: Sure, I was just whiling away the time

OFogy
        Megalomania in front of a computer screen is preferable to megalomania Out There.

Comment

Of course if you raze their cities - the culture disappears......

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
            Of course if you raze their cities - the culture disappears......
            That is quite misleading. If you raze a city and plop your own settler there, it will still have the culture of the razed city. Overcoming the old culture could take quite some time, depending on how long the city had been there.

The culture's HEART may be the city, but the culture is imbued in the surrounding landscape.

Comment

Raze the next towns over before founding your replacement.
              As long as none of the enemy culture is coming from a current existing town you should be able to work the tiles pretty quickly.

Originally posted by Jaybe

That is quite misleading. If you raze a city and plop your own settler there, it will still have the culture of the razed city. Overcoming the old culture could take quite some time, depending on how long the city had been there.

The culture's HEART may be the city, but the culture is imbued in the surrounding landscape.
              1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

For the purpose of CV, it disappears.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  For the purpose of CV, it disappears.
                  I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

You know what I find annoying? If I take a city, then give it back in peace negotiations, or just from the goodnes of my heart, it gets back all the culture it had, when I captured it. No matter how long I've kept it, it seems. Had a city surrounded by culture of a vassal of my friend, so I figure I give it back, because it's useless to me. Ended up having two more cities surrounded...
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

The way I've found it to work is this: every square around a city that is within the cultural borders accumulates culture points every turn, the amount depending on the cultural output of the city and the distance from the city. No matter who currently owns the square, if it's within the range of influence of a city it accumulates that civs culture, and it will never lose those culture points until that civilization doesn't exist anymore.

If you capture a city and raze all the others around it, you'll have some time to grown in peace. However, if the civ whose cities you razed comes and plops down a new city, everything that is within his new cultural borders still counts all his old culture points, and those squares will go right back to him. I've taken to -instead of razing those cities - giving them to another friendly civ to act as a buffer between me and my enemy. The buffer gets to deal with border encroachment while he and I are starting with a clean slate, culturally speaking.
                      Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Working...
                      X