Permanent Ally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permanent Ally?

Has anyone managed this with anyone civilization? What are the conditions for it?

You need certain techs. You also need to be playing a custom game with the option for permanent alliances enabled. Basically it requires the two civs wubbers each other.

Comment

You have to have the option turned on.

You have to have very good relations with the country in question.

You usually need a Defensive Pact.

It is a PERMANENT alliance. Unlike what I miss from Civ2, you can't EVER get rid of your alliance. You share all research, and you can only have ONE ally.
      I don't know what I've been told!
      Deirdre's got a Network Node!
      Love to press the Buster Switch!
      Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Has anyone managed this with the AI? I have had defense pacts but have never been able to get one to ally with me. I get the " you have grown too strong for us" message.

Comment

I think the positive count needed is so high that you don't have a chance of reaching it unless that AI likes you enough for a defensive pact.
          This will probably mean you'll need to share the state religion that both empires has present in most/all cities.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I've achieved a perm. alliance once or twice (with Warlords I think). In one, I was a bit anxious about my ally Mansa (pre-alliance I was #1 in score, he was #2) screwing up the space race for us, but we managed to get a domination victory.

Comment

Sometimes I think I play a different game than everyone else. My experiences seem to be on the whole diametrically opposed to the norm. Not just on this issue.

I get permanent alliances all the time. I even got one with Japan once. The key is to pick someone early in the game and be as nice as possible to him/her, give them stuff, trade at a disadvantage and join them in all their wars, have the same civs. etc. This should have you at least pleased by the time either tech is discovered that allows pacts and alliances. You also need to make sure you are about even with them in tech and strength. Do whatever it takes to get friendly and then boom instant alliance. The downside is the AI will often stab you in the back even from a friendly stance, so be careful.

Also, I find the Egyptians are the easiest to make into allies.

Mike

Comment

you're not alone mike
                As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
                atrocities.
                - Voltaire

Comment

I acheived an alliance with Saladin, but haven't acheived one since. I don't try that hard though.
                  EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

A primary reason I don't experience permanent alliances more often is that I rarely have the option enabled. Considering how few games I play (considering how much time each one takes) ...

Comment

Can you establish alliances in single player mode before the game starts? Maybe with a custom game? It would be fun to explore some unusual and unlikely alliances.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I believe you can. You can set teams...
                        I don't know what I've been told!
                        Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                        Love to press the Buster Switch!
                        Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Working...
                        X