Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separating automation of missionaries and corporate executives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separating automation of missionaries and corporate executives?

I'd like to keep these two separate as I would almost never want corporate executives to establish branches indiscriminately but almost never care where missionaries spread religions and enjoy the automation for them. Anyone else feel the same way, or am I just being too lazy?

You should never want to automate executives. Any automation scheme that may (even in the future) be developed might not conicide with what YOUR strategy is with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
      You should never want to automate executives. Any automation scheme that may (even in the future) be developed might not conicide with what YOUR strategy is with them.
      Exactly why I want a separate checkbox option for the missionaries and one for the executives.

Comment

To be more clear, you're asking about the "Always automate executives and missionaries" in the control panel options.

Yes, that is a dumb option and a mistake by Firaxis, because no one would want to automate executives, but they might want missionaries to auto spread religion on creation.

Comment

Seconded.
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

A workaround is to just uncheck that option in the second half of the game. When you're building Executives you're probably not building Missionaries anymore or can manually automate the few that you build (hit R).
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Common Sensei
              Exactly why I want a separate checkbox option for the missionaries and one for the executives.
              Sorry, I wasn't clear. You could have multiple-choice startegies for your EXECUTIVES. In different games, you could even have alternate strats for the same KIND of exec.

Spread to well developed cities or give infant cities a boost? Spread domestically or to others (because of the financial needs)? Who needs food, hammers or culture?

EDIT: Sorry again, I suppose I was being dense. Thanx Solver, for illuminating what he was talking about.

Comment

I have to agree with everbody on this one. There is usually little disadvantage to spreading your religion indiscriminately (Apostolic Palace excepted), but there is a higher level of strategy and a cost/benefit analysis involved when deciding where to open corporate franchises.

What I usually do is just hit the "automate spread" button individually whenever I want to send missionaries out. It's slightly more tedious than just checking the automate box once at the beginning, but it's safer than letting the AI take full control over your execs, too.

However, what I would advocate is getting rid of the automate execs option entirely, rather than a separate box.
                "Make Haste Slowly."

Comment

How about just automating them yourself
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                  X