Religions/home city

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religions/home city

Long time player of Civ I/II/III/IV (and V, VI, VII...), but have just been a reader here til now. But I have a question which my limited time hasn't allowed me to playtest.

If I manage to found two religions first, and only have one city, will both be "home" in that city? And if so, can I then do all the things to spread that religion, build both special buildings, and have a mega-cash city? With the right improvements, this could be one incredible research hub.

I never got close to that before, but recently started a game where I could have if I'd have tried; ends up no Religious enemies besides mine, and I had a good tech starting location.

Re: Religions/home city

Originally posted by Petrus2
    If I manage to found two religions first, and only have one city, will both be "home" in that city? And if so, can I then do all the things to spread that religion, build both special buildings, and have a mega-cash city?
    Yes and yes.

Comment

I quite often get more than one religion founded in my second city.

Comment

Hehehe, good! I would love to make this happen!

Thanks.

Comment

try going for the early 3 rels with just one city. it's perfectly doable.
          Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

If you only have 2 cities then the holy citys will probably all appear in the non-capital city (unless the capital has no religion while the other city does).

Comment

I would temper this with "You could, but it's probably not a great strategy". The cost of spreading two religions, plus the cost of two shrines, plus the 'cost' of not having built additional cities in this time, plus the cost of not having built other, more useful tech... all a pretty heavy price to pay It's an amusing thing to do once just to have done it (try founding all seven... ) but it's not a good game strategy towards winning the game.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                I would temper this with "You could, but it's probably not a great strategy". The cost of spreading two religions, plus the cost of two shrines, plus the 'cost' of not having built additional cities in this time, plus the cost of not having built other, more useful tech... all a pretty heavy price to pay It's an amusing thing to do once just to have done it (try founding all seven... ) but it's not a good game strategy towards winning the game.
                All true. But I've played so many times that I am at a point where trying new things is fun in and of itself!

While I have won all sorts of games with a max/min approach, I typically find that those are not the most enjoyable. My most fun games are usually where I dial down the difficulty factor a notch or two, and try various alternatives. I still end up with a nail-biter (if I'm lucky!).

Comment

Originally posted by Petrus2
                  My most fun games are usually where I dial down the difficulty factor a notch or two, and try various alternatives. I still end up with a nail-biter (if I'm lucky!).
                  definitely true. if you like alternative games you might be interested in realms beyond civilization ( i think the website is realmsbeyondciv.net but you can just search). its a small community that hosts friendly tournaments with alternative rules, and then eveyrone writes reports about them. for instance, one game had every player start with one free tech of their choosing- any tech at all. very interesting games there. i think they typically only use vanilla civ, not sure about that.

it would be a very interesting concept to have at apolyton as well.

Comment

I once managed to get two cities each being the holy city for two religions in the same game.

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix
                    I quite often get more than one religion founded in my second city.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I would disagree about it not being worth spreading two religions in your territory. What's ideal is decide which one to be your primary one, spread that one thruoughout your empire and enough to your neighbors to get them to switch to it, and then start spreading the next secondary religion in the queue to get a holy shrine throughout your empire.
                      Multiple Monstaries help out a lot in the science department until they go obsolete, but start with the primary one on the buildings too.
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I have never founded a religion in my capitol. They always go into my other cities. I believe a religion will only be founded in your capital if it is your only city. I don't think you can choose which city will found the religion.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

If you only have one city, the religion will be founded there. Otherwise it will always found in the next city built after the capital, if that city doesn't have a religion (and is NOT your capital). If all your cities have a religion (not including the capital), your second city will found any religions you research. Your capital will only found a religion if it's your only city.

Comment

Chock me up as another who will spread 2 religions in his civ aggressively (if I founded both of them).

The cash flow of a Shrine just cannot be beat. And if you get 2 with strong cash flow, it's really twice as good.

That being said, I really don't "try" to found 2 religions. When it occurs, it's usually because I founded 1 of the early ones, and then just happened to be the first to Code of Laws, or Philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Virdrago
                              Otherwise it will always found in the next city built after the capital, if that city doesn't have a religion (and is NOT your capital). If all your cities have a religion (not including the capital), your second city will found any religions you research.
                              These statements are not consistent with the versions of Civ IV and its expansions shipped by Firaxis.

Comment

Working...
                              X