Why can't I capture a city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't I capture a city?

Hello everyone. I've been coming to this forums, and find them very helpful. But this is my first post. I've run into a problem, and I'm not sure if it's a bug or what.

The Japenese declare war on me. I move a stack to one of their cities, and attack. I use artillery to get defenses down to 4%. Then I kill all defenders except for two airships and one tactical nuke. I have units with movement points that should be able to move into the city, but they won't. The game simply will not let me move a unit into the city.

This is the first game I've played with Beyond the Sword. Is there something I'm missing, or is this a bug?

Did the units with movement points remaining attack already? I think they need an attack point to take over the city.

Comment

What type of units are you trying to use to take the city?
      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
      The video may avatar is from

Comment

The unit I've tried has moved that turn, but has not fought and has movement points left. The city is in a plain, not on a hill, so I think it should take just one movement point to move into the city.

I'm trying to take the city with a leader/tank army (Cao Cao).

Comment

I just had the same thing happen to me. I believe what happens is the nuke during his turn launches, but does not actually explode until your turn ends. Therefore, it looks like the nuke is in the city and it doesn't let you take the city or attack, but the next turn suddenly the nuke exploded and then I was able to take the city. I don't know if it is a bug or if they meant to have this happen (which I doubt). What I have been doing since is not attacking cities with the nukes because it changes things if you know you could take the city and then perhaps reinforce the city, but if your stuck outside the city, your units are more vulnerable. I hope they address it.

Comment

I'm betting you have your units stacked. If you link them in a stack then you can only move the whole stack if every unit in the stack has movement points left. Unstack them and move them in individually or at the very least restack only those units which still have movement points.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by reynoldsmj
              I just had the same thing happen to me. I believe what happens is the nuke during his turn launches, but does not actually explode until your turn ends. Therefore, it looks like the nuke is in the city and it doesn't let you take the city or attack, but the next turn suddenly the nuke exploded and then I was able to take the city. I don't know if it is a bug or if they meant to have this happen (which I doubt). What I have been doing since is not attacking cities with the nukes because it changes things if you know you could take the city and then perhaps reinforce the city, but if your stuck outside the city, your units are more vulnerable. I hope they address it.
              Sorry but this is incorrect AFAIK. Oerdin's explanation is plausible.

Comment

Isn't there a bug here... something in the back of my mind says either it's a spy bug or a tac nuke bug. Not sure which.
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It won't let you take the city because the only surviving units are air units.

The same thing happened to me in the Space Mod, and eventually, I figgured out that was the problem.
                  I don't know what I've been told!
                  Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                  Love to press the Buster Switch!
                  Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Odd. Come to think of it, why didn't the last attacker march into the city when it killed the last defender?

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7
                      It won't let you take the city because the only surviving units are air units.

The same thing happened to me in the Space Mod, and eventually, I figgured out that was the problem.
                      I thought this was fixed in an earlier patch...I guess I was wrong.
                      "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                      "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Of course, it should be remembered that helicopter gunships cannot capture a city. They can knock off the last defender, but another ground unit-type has to take it.

Comment

Working...
                        X