Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does free religion shut down the Apostolic Palace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does free religion shut down the Apostolic Palace?

I just had a holy war declared on me by most of the world and since I'm seventh in number of soldiers and I think third in manufacturing I'm probably not going to make it even though the second place empire (england) is willing to fight the world with me for scientific method and constitution. So If I go back a few turns and give the resident liberalism with free religion shut down the Apostolic Palace? I tried it once but it didn't work. Maybe the vote already happened and it just took a few turns for it to pass and go into effect, but the members screen still said the palaces religion was Judaism even though the owner had no state religion.

I thought AP was obseleted by mass media or some other tech around that part of the tech tree.

Nice username

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
      I thought AP was obseleted by mass media or some other tech around that part of the tech tree.
      AP is supposed to be made obsolete by mass m edia. in eveyr game i've played thats gotten to that age, this hasn't happened, i've had AP elections right alongside UN ones.

Comment

Something's broken with the AP, that's for sure. If the way it behaves is intended, then the design itself is broken.

Comment

I haven't gotten to the modern age yet, but it looks like Free Religion doesn't shut down the AP but will instead result in some other leader moving in at the next AP election.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

In my last game I had built the AP and ran Free Religion while being the resident. Resolution votes and re-elections worked as usual.

Comment

In my last game, someone nearly won a religious victory after free religion was made universal by the UN, so it clearly dosn't disable it. It seems like the way it works is that the person who has the palace is still allowed to run for that position, even if they don't have any state religion at all.

Another wierd thing that happened to me with the palace was that I took the palace from another player, but for some reason even though my state religion was Jewish, it continued to be a Hindu thing and the Hindu states (which now included me, now that I had a Hindu city) were still voting. Shouldn't the Palace match the state religion of it's owner, or is that "locked" into place once it's built?

Comment

It's locked.

Comment

Assuming Kuciwalker is right about the Apostolic Palace's religion being locked in, that is entirely realistic. In the real world, if a Muslim nation conquered Rome and the Vatican, that wouldn't magically transform the Vatican from being the headquarters of the Catholic Church to being an equally powerful headquarters for the Islamic faith.

Comment

Assuming Kuciwalker is right

From the Civpedia:

When the Apostolic Palace is completed, it is locked into the religion of the player who has built it.

Comment

AP *is* obsoleted by Mass Media... which means that the owner of the AP has to have Mass Media. If someone else builds the UN, it is entirely possible that they co-exist for a while.

Comment

In my last game, I built the AP. My religion was spread to the entire continent. I was "resident" at first, but then the larger of my 2 neighbors started winning the elections because the smaller one was voting for him. Nothing bad happened...

I switched over to Free Religion. The elections for AP still happened, and I kept on losing.

Then the weaker of my two neighbors up and declared war on me, and sent in a big invasion stack. I wasn't exactly unprepared, though it would've taken several turns for me to destroy it. Anyway, instantly there is an AP vote. The vote is to "stop the war against [the civ that attacked me]." I voted yes and, just like that, the war was over. I assume the non-combatant voted in favor, and with my votes that was more than enough.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Actually more frequently the other combatant will vote in favor of stopping it (I think, ALWAYS, in fact, no matter if he just started the war); while the noncombatant will sometimes vote for and sometimes vote against.
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

On a different game; the Greek AI managed to contuing being the resident after adopting Free Religion.

But for same reason the only choices I ever got were vote for him or abstain in four elections so far. (Now based on what happened in the other game there must have been two choices at some point because the resident was deposed and replaced by another AI civ; I don't know for sure what happened because I never had a vote in that one.) What am I missing?

Also in my game, soon after the Vikings declared war on the Germans, the Greek resident tried to stop the war, the Vikings voted yes and the Germans voted "NEVER", defing the resolution that passed because I also voted yes. It retrospect it seems to have been a good decision on Germany's part (and a poor one to start the war at all on the Vikings) because Germany evenually forced the Vikings to capitualte.
                            Templar Science Minister
                            AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I think I figured this one out from the in game encyliopedia.
                              The current owner for the AP is ALWAYS a full member, even if he changes religion to something else (or more likely adopts Free Market).

In my first game, there were a total of 5 AIs that were full members, when the owner went FR, many of the others now liked another Full Member more and so the owner was killed out of his own palace.

In my second game, while there were 5 players who were members, only the owner and one other AI was a full member. I with the second most votes was only a voting member and so the owner was the only full voting member in the top 2 and therefore he's the only one who can be elected to it. (It has only changed since by one AI being kicked out as a voting member from having his only two cities with the religion captured and me becoming the top voting member from natural increase in population of my cities with this religion.)
                              Templar Science Minister

Comment

Working...
                              X