• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd poll : the best traits ?

Hi again,

so here is our third poll

What are the 3 best traits?
    Try to figure it independantly to the leaders (just say which you prefer most)

Please add some words to explain your choice

NOTE : consider it for a standard solo game : 7 players on fractal, normal size and speed, difficulty prince, beginng in 4000 BC.

Thanks again
    Sebastian

PS : the vote will close wednesday the 5th.
    Last edited by CyberS; September 2, 2007, 06:45.

Financial
    Charismatic
    Creative

I posted a poll about a month ago that might help you.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

I hate to echo Will, rather than sound original, but the three best traits in order are:

Financial,
      Creative, and
      Charismatic.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Charismatic - It's strong in the early game where +2 happy can mean a 50% increase in the happy cap, and a near proportional increase in productivity. As the game progresses, the reduced promotion cost effect becomes more and more powerful. Charismatic mounted units are scary because it's easy to have them coming out the gate at lvl4. With drydocks, all Charismatic ships are lvl3.

Creative - A strong early game means a strong game. Creative can take the best city sites, and more quickly utilize the entire radius of cities. Creative effectively has a defensive bonus against rushes, both in the boosted city defenses and in having thicker borders for invaders to wade through. Cheap libraries provide an economic boon.

As with others, the 3rd place is much more difficult.

Spiritual is a strong candidate which starts out weakish (unless combined with starting mysticism), but gets progressively more powerful as the game progresses. I think that other traits can be situationally more powerful - Aggressive if you have metal and neighbors, Organized for mass conquest, that sort of thing. But Spiritual is a safe bet. However Spiritual only goes at 3rd spot with starting mysticism, or other mitigating circumstances which makes religion easy to get - Spiritual without religion is horrible.

Comment

1) Financial,
          2) Creative,
          3) Charismatic.
          ( 4) Spiritual)
          LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

First, I can't believe anyone said Spiritual. It has to be the weakest. In Civ2 it was good as anarchy could last 10 turns or more, but with anarchy at worst 3 turns, its a waste of a trait.

Financial - I always am short on money
            Organized - Again, I always need money
            Protective - A good defense is always needed.

Mike

Comment

Spiritual is great, you just have to use it right. When I'm spiritual, I tend to switch civics and/or religions every few turns.

Granted Spiritual isn't as good as it was in vanillia; the fact that you can change civics for free during golden ages and the late-game wonder that lets you change them for free both make spiritual not quite as useful as it was, but it's still pretty good.

Comment

This ones been beat to death, and it is hard to say without looking at what they go with.

1. Charismatic
                2. Organized
                3. Philosophical

It pains me to leave off Spiritual and Creative since so many of my favorite leaders come with those, but as standalone traits the above are good in all situations.

Darrell

Comment

Creative
                  Charismatic
                  Spiritual

Much the same reasons as Blake although I think that Creative is now so strong as to be broken. Expansion is a given and cheap libraries are there to star helping to pay for it.

I'm surprised anyone is surprised about Spiritual. From a strong position, it can be lethal.

Having said that Charismatic/Spriitual should beat Creative/Spiritual purely for the sheer scope for early-game city growth.

Comment

Originally posted by couerdelion

I'm surprised anyone is surprised about Spiritual. From a strong position, it can be lethal.

city growth.

How can Spiritual be lethal. It saves you a couple turns when you change civics, which I rarely do.

Mike

Comment

In my limited expierence, my favorite traits are:

Creative: Great for expansion
                      Spiritual: Gives the advantage of using any civ any time you need it if you can just wait until the next turn.
                      Financial: I'm usually lacking in this area, so it helps me out a lot.
                      EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

when you change civics, which I rarely do.
                        Well, there's your problem.

Comment

Mkorin:
                          How can Spiritual be lethal. It saves you a couple turns when you change civics, which I rarely do.
                          When you only enter anarchy 5 times in a game, spiritual is waste. But when you play as a spiritual civ you're free to change civics and religion far more often.
                          LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

For my playstyle (I also don't civic-swap enough for SPI to be a top-tier trait for me):

FIN
                            ORG
                            CHA

Fourth, for me, is IND. This is because I criminally misuse PHI and SPI, so their potential greatness is wasted on me.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Financial
                              Creative
                              Organised

All these traits are great for a strong economy.
                              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                              X