• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian
    Is Pericles CRE/PHI?
    No, its PHI\CRE according to the civilopedia

And the ball court gives +2 happiness for a total of 3
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

My Favorite Leaders:

Darius: Financial/Organized is the best economic combo, they have one of the best early rush units, and I like their UB.

Hyuna Capac: As a wonder whore, I love financial and industrious, the Quecha is great for controlling barbarians early on, and the Terrace is one of the best UB's for any map.

Wang Kon: Financial again with protective (which actually helps quite a bit with gunpowder units), a university with extra research, and the Hwacha, an extremely kickass unit even with siege being nerfed in BTS.
      "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

Comment

Darius is pretty strong at both economy and military if he has early access to horses. With no horses he's still good but no longer the best.

Hyuna Capac is the strongest all rounder. Need to fight of barbs? No problem you have the Quecha. Need early culture? No problem you have the Terrace. Need money? No problem you have financial. Need an early religion? No problem you start with mystic and are financial. Need wonders? No problem your industrious. Need more hammers? No problem you have cheap forges. Want to do an early rush? No problem, you have the resource free Quecha (which unfortunately can't swim, so it wont always work. )

Hannibal is also powerful for an economy with his UB.

Comment

Hannibals UB kind of sucks (it just shuffles trade routes into the larger cities, which isn't bad in principle, but it's only like adding 1.5 commerce in total if you have any domestic trade routes... doesn't compare with an extra happiness). His UU also sucks considerably, particularly since it can be countered by Horse Archers, and even chariots (for cost) which is unfortunate - because mobile units which are easily countered by other mobile units aren't good for harrassment. In a siege role it's less than spectacular due to sucking against Archers relatively to HA's. Decent in a defensive war where the flanking can help more and offensive stacks are often very melee heavy.

His traits are fairly good, though, big cities, a speed demon at teching, although I feel there is minor conflict between Charismatic (which favors hammers to pump out armies) and Financial (which favors cottages), but either trait can support the other nicely, so he's pretty flexible, just not a "maximum synergy" leader, middle of the pack.

Comment

Blake pretty much said everything I would have said. Brennus and Hatty are two of my preferred leaders. Playing my first game as van Oranje right now and really enjoying it: great traits, great ub, and a surprisingly strong uu.

I would also add Catherine of Russia (IMP/CRE, starts with Mining and Hunting) Great traits/techs for the early land grab; great uu for mid-game war; and space race ub. Not that any of my games with her ever last that long. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi

And the ball court gives +2 happiness for a total of 3
              That's pretty darn solid. EXP gives you extra health, and the UB extra happy (same as the ottomans).

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It's hard for me to break these leaders down into Economy and Military, because I believe that a strong economy can be leveraged into a strong military, but I'll play along.

Economy
                1. Darius
                2. Willem van Oranje
                3. Pericles

Military
                1. Brennus
                2. Boudica
                3. Alexander

Darius and van Oranje are pretty self explanatory as economic leaders, but Pericles might be seen as an aberration because he's not financial. He is just so strong at gaining a tech lead and can expand early so well that I feel you can leverage his strengths into economic gains.

The Celts are just such good leaders its not even funny. I agree with Blake that Brennus is one of the strongest leaders in the game, and while Boudica wouldn't make an overall leaders list for me, her pure military might is absolutely undeniable. Alexander is in there for being Aggressive and having the Phalanx UU, and I like that Philosophical can help you gain in other areas.

Comment

As the poll is closed, thread closed.

By all means please continue discussion in another thread. If you do, PM me the link and I'll update my post here and reference it.
                  PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                  >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Working...
                  X