Diplomacy "What's it good for"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    It's worth adding that there are no events in BtS that cause a declaration of war, at least not among the core game events.
    Well, that's not exactly true. There's the one religious event (marriage?) where the 3rd option almost always causes the AI to declare war on you. But if you meant events beyond the player's control, then I'd have to agree.

Bh

Comment

i had half the world declare war on me over time, all pleased, and only the last few had a -1 you declared war on our friend (but were still pleased with me). i was on my own continent, and several of them had a huge way to get to me. pretty much just sat there swatting away their ships till i got airpower and ran a few survey missions, which caused the game to crash repeatedly(out of video memory). every so often got an event to end a war, and the person would immediately go back to pleased and go up several +, because with all of em, the only - was (this war ruins our relationship) and the occasional - (you declared war on our friend). but a few turns after the 10 turn peace would end,they would once again declare war with the only reason being (this war spoils our relationship)

huge tectonic map, epic speed, 18 civs

map of the world

to give a sense of relation, the main people who kept declaring war on me were the aztecs(their own continent and few friends), both the dutch and holy roman empire(share a continent and at war with eachother the entire game. when i was at war with one, the other would get + to me for it), japan(its own islands and not even in contact with most of the world for a while), whoever has the brown continent at the bottom(i forget who, but again they own the continent), and rome, who are on the mainland. arabia, incans, and shaka would declar war for being at war with their friends, but everyone else i fought wasnt friends with whoever else i was at war with.

Comment

There are greed style quests which necessitate war in order to fulfill. "Our generals want horses," et al. So, Solver oversimplifies on this one.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Chariot
          i had half the world declare war on me over time, all pleased, and only the last few had a -1 you declared war on our friend (but were still pleased with me).
          Did one of the civs have the Apostolic Palace?

Comment

nope, had diplomacy off so AP and UN cant be built(they annoy me and i always play with diplomacy off, but havent had thishappen before/since)

Comment

Yeah, that was the big surprise, since I had never had it happen before.

And a big stack showed up that turn so it looked planned.

+17 go figure.

So yes, I was paying attention to what was going on.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                AI's will also not ever choose to declare war on someone they are friendly with.
                But if you have a vassal that they aren't friendly with?

It seems silly to me that if you have one vassal that they're only pleased with, then it doesn't matter whether you're at +10 or +20.

Comment

despite +17 the AI could have been planning this war for some time. I find when the AI decides upon a war no increase of relations will deter it

That doesnt explain the OP though. I still like the position that it was something behind the scenes\unnoticed that led to the war
                  if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Nor Me

But if you have a vassal that they aren't friendly with?

It seems silly to me that if you have one vassal that they're only pleased with, then it doesn't matter whether you're at +10 or +20.
                    reason #55 why vassals aren't worth it

Comment

vassals are kind of silly anyway. Much better done in EU series. A whole civilization being a vassal
                      if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

everything else in civ is a ridiculous abstraction for gameplay purposes , why single out vassals.

Comment

The OP mentions 'random personality' - maybe he got unlucky with a Napoleon/Alex personality for the Egyptians?
                          Dom 8-)

Comment

Working...
                          X