Failed space race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by patcon

Do you people forget how to build spaceships because all the engineers and smart people fly off? If so, who builds the next ship if the first one fails?
    Yeah, but you could make the same argument for wonders. Why should you be forced to stop building a wonder just because some other civ built it first?

Comment

Inflation, probably. After the 1st few Great Lighthouses, they are no longer considered that 'Great', and become viewed as ah yes, that bigger-than-normal-but-still-rather-ordinairy-Lighthouse.

Comment

A ship with 5 thrusters and 1 engine with takes 13 turns on normal game speed, 5 thrusters and 2 engines reduce it to 11 turns. I haven't check the relation between ship speed and number of thrusters. They are available too early. By the time I have every kind of parts built, 5 thrusters had been mounted for at least 20 turns.

Comment

Originally posted by LzPrst
          in civ1 you could conquer the capital of a civ that had launced it's spaceship and it would crash...
          What happens now? Do you have to completely destroy the civilization that launched? What if you attack and they capitulate? Obviously I don't Space Race much.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I had a space ship simply disappear.
            I was all set for a space victory, with one turn remaining, hit Enter and suddenly had 71 turns remaining. Under victory conditions, the ETA had changed to a year hence.
            I guess it's a big universe out there.
            Oh, my ship was fully trigged out, no lack of thrusters or anything else.
            Still, I was Not Happy!
            Megalomania in front of a computer screen is preferable to megalomania Out There.

Comment

Does the SS arrive earlier at it's destination with less Casing built? If so, then it pays off to build less cases to bypass an earlier launched SS.

If not, then why not finish the SS first? If you're ahead then you have more time anyway to launch it first. If you're behind then building less cases won't help you anyway.
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I remember that rule in Civ1 and I thought I read somewhere that they brough it back in BtS, but maybe that's just hopeful thinking.

I'll be able to confirm it in my current game regardless. I was going for a space race victory, cruising along nicely with a small tech advantage and the internet. Only 3 turns to complete the space elevator when Victoria, who shares my continent and has been my greatest ally since the beginning, manages to build it. Dissappointing since I thought it was wrapped up, maybe she had a GE?

Anyway, I'm going to bring war to her capital and take what I believe should be mine. Rome is also in the race and Caesar's captital is in a prime razing position.

Does anyone know the effect, if any, of capturing a rival capital?

Comment

I'm quite sure I've read somewhere in a feature list of BtS (before it was out) that capturing a capital returns the spaceship to Earth.

Comment

^ yes thats right

Comment

Excellent, I assume I'll have to wait until they launch before I come storming in.

Comment

well, you can always storm in ahead of the launch to encourage them to stop building
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I think it's back to the Civ I rules: if you capture a capital before the launch you destroy all completed components of the ship, and if you capture a capital after the launch you cause the ship to be recalled.
                          Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

I don't think that's right.

I captured Victoria's capital when she had completed many components of the ship, after this I checked the win screen and she was replaced by Rome. So I assumed that all of her components were destroyed.

Then it was announced she had completed another component and she was back on the win screen with all the previous components, I don't think she could have re-built them.

Taking the capital still helped me win though, as it had the elevator. This was with vanilla bts.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                              well, you can always storm in ahead of the launch to encourage them to stop building

My prefered approach!

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Woot for nukes and paratroops!
                                I don't know what I've been told!
                                Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                                Love to press the Buster Switch!
                                Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Working...
                                X