No announcement yet.

Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL that is my exact strategy - in my recently finished game as Inca/Huayna, the original Quechua from 4000BC was still fortified in Cuzco as the sole garrison when I won space race.

I do however like to upgrade City Raider III macemen and axemen to rifles or grenadiers and later infantry, making them top-notch offensive units during those eras. After all you can't build gunpowder CRs. Not so important once you get tanks though, so I don't bother upgrading to mech infantry.

Comment

I only really upgrade when desperate or when upgrading the unit would give a huge advantage. (Like Upgrading Combat 1, Drill 4 Longbowmen into Riflemen...)

Otherwise I just rebuild and replace most of the time, if necessary. I also leave the interiors defended by crappy units, except for against humans that are smart enough to skip past the well-defended cities and go straight inland.

Me.

Comment

I always try to upgrade macemen with city raider II or III to riflemen/infantry because "new" gunpowder units don't have access to the city raider promotion line.
        "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

If I get a great merchant I will often use him to get the wealth to do an upgrade of knights to cavalry. These can then be used for a major expansion because I usually get them a while before and AI does.

I often have lots of money in the late game too and upgrade anyone else that might come under attack.

Comment

If I have a somewhat significant army, usually with a good backbone of experienced units, I'll typically turn tech slider down to 0 for a few turns if necessary to do a mass upgrade just prior to launching a new war. I won't upgrade all troops, but any offensive troops that I can bump up a few strength points, I'll typically do this (swordsmen to mace; knights to cuirass, cuirass to cavalry). Beyond cavalry, I'm less likely to upgrade as by then I've generally got a strong industry and can churn out new units quickly.

Comment

I find upgrading to be useful at certain times. Very often, if I'm the first one to a key millitary tech like assembly line, I and upgrade a bunch of rifles and muskets and whatever else I've got even down to macemen and stuff right away and then rush someone, I'll even turn my tech slider down for a few turns to get the cash needed to do all those upgrades. Otherwise, on marathon, I'm probably waiting 7 turns before my first infantry units pop out. If you upgrade right away, you can get a large infantry army much faster, and that gives you more time to bash heads before the AI catches up and also gets infantry, and even if it costs you 1500-2000 gold to get started a fast, efficent war is much, much cheaper in the long run then a slow war where war wiereness starts to build up.

Comment

I always upgrade my navy as soon as the new units are available. The aggressive AI can and will use large naval attacks. I always have a military city with HE, WP, Pentagon, and Military Academy to produce high XP units for attack. I will upgrade my defensive units on the border only. I agree that in SP the AI won't go for interior cities.
                And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

5XP (or more) Macemen upgraded to Infantry is definitely worthwhile. City raider II or III infantry rock. Same thing for catapults/trebs -> cannon.

I don't tend to upgrade units that have less than 5XP, though I will in a pinch, of course. The exception, for me, is ships. I will upgrade trimeres to caravels to get a jump on circumnavigation, and caravels to frigates so I don't have to build frigates (or have to build fewer frigates). I'm bad about building enough naval units, so deleting them would be even worse.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I also noticed that seige unit upgrades actually seem to be reasonably cost.
                    Athough since I often end up using Trebs/ Cats as sucide units to soften down the opposing army after having bombarded the defenses to nothing, I don't tend to actually have many of them to upgrade.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                    X