Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades?

Just curious on your strategy. Do you attempt to upgrade all your units or do you leave them and use them as fodder? So if you have muskets in a city defense will you upgrade to rifle or build a rifle and send the musket out? Are there advantages or disadvantages either way?

Steve

I only upgrade if the unit has several promotions added to it. The rest get used to bribe or if too old for that, just to get an angry civ to come out of a city or something so I can smash his attacker with other units.

Comment

It also depends on UUs. Some UUs simply beg to be upgraded and kept the whole game. e.g., Berserks.

Wodan

Comment

One of the more debateable issues. First upgrading a unit all at once (ie, from archer to infantry) is somewhat cheaper than upgrading as you go through (ie from archer to Longbowman, etc and then Infantry).

Sometimes your choice to upgrade is driven by your needs rather than effeciency. During that "window of vulnerability phase" when Assembly Line bring you the Factory AND the ability to upgrade to Infantry, if you are behind militarily it is important to not continue to be a weak power for very long. I like to turn off research almost entirely at that point and do a complete upgrade of my army with the gold I save. Makes banks, markets and grocers build come in handy. Amazing how the encroaching AI will start to back off from my borders when I do that sometimes. And I sigh a deep breathe of relief.

Yet still I mostly ignore or kill Axs and Warriors. Again, as mentioned earlier, promotions on a given unit can be an important factor in your choice. Remember that Generaled units get free upgrades too!
        "Pain IS Scary!!!"
        Jayne, from Firefly

Comment

Also once you reach 10 XP (or is it level 4? I don't know what happens with Charismatic), you lose any extra XP above the last promotion level. So if you're close to that next promo, you might want to wait before upgrading.
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Well the Medic or Sentry Chariot is probably every bit as useful as the medic/sentry cavalry so they can probably stay as they are. Other upgrades are rarer and tend to be more by necessity that anything else. Generally, I find upgrading to be too expensive and prefer to build new units and kill old ones.

Occasionally, the weaker semi-useful units like medics can still play a part for a little while. They can still finish off stronger defensive units after the big units have done their job, they get more XP and you don't really mind if they die. I've recently used a horse archer and a axeman to finish off the last rifleman defender in two big cities.

But completely useless units tend to get ditched rather than upgraded

Comment

It's not really worth upgrading units below lvl3 (5 exp), I suggest just deleting them when they no longer serve a purpose. Whacking units which have obsolete promotions is also a decent idea (ie a Shock Maceman in the gunpowder era is basically a lvl2 unit, because only the combat1 helps).

Otherwise upgrading is pretty useful, it's always nice to open a war with a core of upgraded troops.

If you invest in a lot of gold multipliers, it becomes mainly a question of whether you can retrain the troops with higher exp - if replacement gives you higher exp troops, then replace, otherwise, upgrade. Without a lot of gold multipliers upgrading becomes significantly more expensive (and this is also true for the earlier game before high gold multipliers).

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                Whacking units which have obsolete promotions is also a decent idea (ie a Shock Maceman in the gunpowder era is basically a lvl2 unit, because only the combat1 helps).
                Actually, it's worse than a lvl2 unit, in the sense that it is further up the promotion curve, and further promotions will cost more in terms of used XP.

Wodan

Comment

I would rarely upgrade units with more than 10 XP (unless they´re connected to a Warlord of course).

As for other units it dependson how much action they´ll see.
                  Experienced Units that are likely to see much action are often upgraded, whereas untis in 3rd line cities that are in no danger of being attacked keep their old versons (and still can be upgraded if the situation changes ) or are replaced
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Of course, the AI due to cheating gets to upgrade everything.

Think upgrade costs should be lowered for the player as well.

Comment

Unit upgrades are very low priority to me due to it's very high cost. I've also been known to avoid building units that are quickly going to be obsolete for the same reason. (This is the exact opposite of my typical strategy in Civ III where upgrade costs were much more reasonable; which BTW seems to be what the AI upgrade cost on an unmodified handicap.xml.)
                      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                      Templar Science Minister
                      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

I almost always upgrade all units in the modern era, ie, post factories. At that time money is more available, and the hammers are building new units to take out cultural and technological threats. I also upgrade warriors and archers as soon as an alternative unit is available, since each become pretty useless otherwise.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

It depends on the situation. If I can build decently upgraded units then I dont upgrade (except for few high level units). If I cant build upgraded units and have the money then I tend to upgrade (except for the medic units - usually spearmen).
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Obsolete units are far from useless. You need 1 garrison unit in the cities in the interior of your empire, far from any risk of invasion. Why needlessly spend money to upgrade that unit?

Wodan

Comment

Wodan is right. For many cities all you need is 'a garrison' of some sort so they don't worry that they are defenseless (and hence get unhappy). So if the city is inland and not at a border, an archer is still a great option in the world of mech inf.

Comment

Working...
                              X