No announcement yet.

What do you defend your cities with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends what stage I'm at. I'll often have one archer as a garrison (being the cheapest unit after you have hunting and copper resource) but sometimes it will be a warrior. If I'm going for an offensive start, I'll go down the route that Ming suggests. For me that is

One archer - to stay in the city
    Offensive units - waiting to move on to another city.

If I've taken a detour along a more profitable route (ie an ancient wonder), I might find that I am relatively weak compared to neighbours. If I know they have horses then border cities (with that civ) will get a spearman. Similarly, if a neighbour has metal, then axemen will be stationed in the more vulnerable cities. But I will be using archers here because I don't want to look too weak.

[Actually got this in my last game with Napoleon to the north and Brennus to the south. They each had horses and metal and I managed a 3x3 city grid in the middle of that mess and failed to execute an Oracle sling. I almost considered building walls!!!]

Later on, the archers and other units will be kept but newer units will be longbows (pikes and crossbows where necessary). A new longbow might be added to garrisons for vulnerable cities

Muskets - rarely used. Too short a life span

At Rifling, the new garrisons will be riflemen and I would tend now to think about replacing archers, warriors, spears and axemen in anything but the deep interior. Coastal cities are now considered as vulnerable and exposed. Units rarely get upgraded - they just wait until they are replaced before being disbanded.

Comment

this thread is quite relevant to what I experienced yesterday. The celts declared war on me and a stack of doom appeared next to one of my cities.

with some judicious use of the save game facility I was ready to fight back. the stack had:

6 knights, 3 musketmen, 3 elephants, 6 pikemen, 5 assorted archers, 7 catapults and 4 trebuchet. I managed to get 16 redocats, 4 trebuchet and 4 knights in the city.

If I attacked the stack I lost. If I used the trebuchet and knights and then defended, I ended up winning (just about) with about 6 redcoats left.

His power ratio plummeted after I'd won

Comment

A few flanking 2 horse archers are great for neutralising stacks of catapults that come to your gaits. (Bts only)

Comment

Working...
        X