Some strange AI behavior in BTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some strange AI behavior in BTS

I have had a couple of games now where the AI has made some very poor moves defensively in the very early game.

The first instance I heard of this was a recent multiplayer game (one of RAH's Satuday games) where we had an AI placeholder for another player. Snoopy attacked the placeholder and discovered that its towns were defended only by warriors, even though the AI had had a connected iron mine for a long time.

The second came in a single player game (monarch) where an AI had just one chariot defending a city. As my units approached, the chariot ran out of the city and tried to hit one of my catapults, leaving the city completely empty when I had units next to it. I have never seen the AI defenders abandon a city when I was next to it in Warlords or Vanilla Civ4.

The third was probably the most peculiar yet on another monarch level game. I made an early DOW on Japan and approached their CAP, which had seas bordering it on both sides. The City just had one warrior in it, I had one warrior standing next to the city in "choke position". As I was building up my forces I watched the Japanese expecting them to be building three or four archers in the time it took me to make enough chariots to attack (they had an archer running around on scout duty). Instead of archers, they built work boats over and over again and kept them in the city. By the time my force arrived to conquer them, they had one warrior and six work boats in the capital. Needless to say... easy meat.

All three of these AI defensive blunders were never seen (by me at least) until BTS.
    "Cunnilingus and Psychiatry have brought us to this..."

Tony Soprano

The second came in a single player game (monarch) where an AI had just one chariot defending a city. As my units approached, the chariot ran out of the city and tried to hit one of my catapults, leaving the city completely empty when I had units next to it. I have never seen the AI defenders abandon a city when I was next to it in Warlords or Vanilla Civ4.
    Strangely enough, I did this MYSELF in my current game! Just 2 enemy cats adjacent and here I am with just a chariot in the city, with no reinforcements available in the current turn. I attacked, I lost, and the cats walked in.

Retaking that particular city turned out to be a real bear, too (it had been the enemy's city to begin with), and mustering the forces required to retake it ... delayed things a bit.

Comment

This is standard behaviour when you don't use the aggressive AI setting. :/

Comment

Working...
      X