The Carthaginians crash my game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Carthaginians crash my game!

When I got the latest patch I couldn't stand that combat animation bug so I uninstalled/reinstalled BTS and went back to the previous patch. Then the game started crashing so I got the new one again but it still doesn't work. I took out the Solver patch and the custom assets but it still didn't work. I noticed that it always crashes at the same point. When it gets to the Setup Players part of loading, but it doesn't happen every time, but it always happens on specific save files. The only thing in common with the files are the Carthaginians, and new games crash more often with more players, when it's more likely that they show up. I haven't gone and tested all the civs in the game to see that it does with them, but I know for sure it doesn't with Carthage. I have no idea how to fix this since reinstalling doesn't work. I've thought about reinstalling the whole game, but Warlords works fine with Carthage and vanilla doesn't have them so I don't know how they could be the problem. Maybe there's a way to keep the game from ever picking Carthage to be in the game without having to manually pick every civ in every game, but even if there is that's not and ideal solution.
    What the hell am I going to do?
    Last edited by MinorAnnoyance; August 22, 2007, 23:56.

Are you sure you don't have overwritten a file that's specific to Carthage? It could be leaderhead or their unit graphics for instance. And yes, a clean and reinstall should get rid of this too.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

O.K. it's fixed. I noticed when the game starts it says XML (cached) so I thought if there is something wrong the cached version of some file might be surviving all my attempts to fix them. So I changed the config file to not cache and file and the Carthaginians work now. So my guess is that the cache is saved somewhere that isn't removed when the game is uninstalled and the installing the unofficial patch, the real patch and un/reinstalling the game and using the old patch caused the cached version of some file (who knows which file or which version) to not be compatible with whatever other files the game ended up with at the end.
      So that might actually be useful information for people. If they modify files make sure the game's config file doesn't caching enabled. Now I just have to do what I originally planned, and reinstall the game and use the old patch without the combat animation bug and hope I don't screw up anything else. Three days well spent.

Comment

Working...
      X