Map Type Descriptions? BTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map Type Descriptions? BTS

Is there is a post or page that has the descriptions on what each map type is?

I see in BTS there are new map types.

I always play custom single player games, but Im never sure what each map type is.

Thanks

Re: Map Type Descriptions? BTS

Originally posted by Chicagophil
    Is there is a post or page that has the descriptions on what each map type is?

I see in BTS there are new map types.

I always play custom single player games, but Im never sure what each map type is.

Thanks
    Closest to descriptions of new maps I've found:
    Just got BTS today. One of the first things I wanted to check out were the new map scripts. I have heard people mention Big & Small and Hemispheres but precious little about them beyond that. I've heard the new maps are supposed to be really good... but I wanted more details. People who...

Comment

Good question. I was thinking the same thing on Saturday.

I like Hemispheres a lot.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'm playing a random-number-of-continents hemispheres game now. It came out as 4 continents, and while the shape of the individual continents is to be commended, their arrangement is not. Two by two, like blocks, all of them wide with similar amounts of ocean between.

My previous (and first) game was a continents map with no options set. I ended up with 1 continent.

I suppose I'm going to take a sampling.

Comment

I like Medium and Small on a large or huge map. Big and Small is good too, but I prefer on smaller maps. I don't enjoy managing a huge number (or conquering a huge number of cities).

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
            Two by two, like blocks, all of them wide with similar amounts of ocean between.
            Yeah, I really don't like Hemispheres for that reason. The layout of the conitinents looks too mathematical and neatly ordered. I've really been enjoying Big & Small though.

Comment

Why is this, like, the only completely undocumented feature in the game? I remember one game where I chose "Balanced" thinking it was something like "default, some continents, some islands" or somesuch, and it's really nothing whatsoever like that (though it was an interesting change of pace from my usual games!)

"Medium and Small" is nice in my current game, though I have the odd circumstance of being on a long, narrow north-south continent that stretches from pole to pole - no sea passage at all. I'm debating whether or not to uproot some towns to build a "Panama Canal" - I've been fighting against it, but I think it's unavoidable.

Anyway, first time I can recall that in any Civ game - seems like most maps always guarantee a natural passage of *some* sort.
              David

Comment

Originally posted by dconner
                Why is this, like, the only completely undocumented feature in the game? I remember one game where I chose "Balanced" thinking it was something like "default, some continents, some islands" or somesuch, and it's really nothing whatsoever like that (though it was an interesting change of pace from my usual games!)

"Medium and Small" is nice in my current game, though I have the odd circumstance of being on a long, narrow north-south continent that stretches from pole to pole - no sea passage at all. I'm debating whether or not to uproot some towns to build a "Panama Canal" - I've been fighting against it, but I think it's unavoidable.

Anyway, first time I can recall that in any Civ game - seems like most maps always guarantee a natural passage of *some* sort.
                Can't forts be used (in a limited way) to make canals in BtS?
                Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dconner

The fact that you now can get credit for circumnavigating the globe just by being the first to have map that shows a path all the way across the globe signifies they've probably taken out the "guarantee of a sea passage".

Comment

Originally posted by Brizey
                    Can't forts be used (in a limited way) to make canals in BtS?
                    Right, that's what I was talking about. There's a place on my continent only two spaces wide at its narrowest point, so I replaced a Town and a Lumber Mill with Forts there to make a "Panama Canal" style passage.
                    David

Comment

Can use forts on a three width point also, as fort - city - fort. Means the city is NOT coastal, but the passage works.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

If you actually end up having a naval combat "in the fort", does it give you defensive bonuses?
                        David

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                          Can use forts on a three width point also, as fort - city - fort. Means the city is NOT coastal, but the passage works.
                          I tried that, but it didn't work - unless the city is next to a lake.
                          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                          One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by LordGek

The fact that you now can get credit for circumnavigating the globe just by being the first to have map that shows a path all the way across the globe signifies they've probably taken out the "guarantee of a sea passage".
                            It's always been that way, ever since the game first came out.

Comment

Working...
                            X