Trouble Seeing Avatars of Opposing Civilizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Seeing Avatars of Opposing Civilizations

Okay I just got Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword this Tuesday. I get home and install it, and then start to play it. I sat there for about 30 min trying to figure out which civilization I wanted to be. Well I picked Portugal and began the game. Then around 2 min into the game I met an opponent. Well the diplomacy screen came up and there was Kublai Khan with no face!!! He only had a floating crown or something like that. I thought that I just needed to restart the game and I did that and it had the same problem. So then I called customer support nad was with them for about 2 hours and still could not solve the problem. The man then told me that he was sending his report to the level 2 guys there at 2Kgames. Well I still ave gotten no response yet. In one or two days I expect one though. If not I am going to give them a call. Hopefully they will have a solution.

Anyways on most civs I can only see a few oarts of them. For example, Sitting Bull I can see his eyes and most of his body. The thing wrong is that is eyelids are not there so I see all of his eyeballs. His teeth look like those toys you wind up and they start to chatter. Justinian I I can only see his hair and his eyelashes. I can only see the eyelashes for Stalin. For Giligamesh, I can only see his hair which makes him look like a stickless mop. Basically most of the people look a lot like the Crypt Keeper. It is utterly annoying.

What makes things worse is that I am now Boudica of the Celts. I am now in the 20th Century. Well now the game is crashing quite a lot. Not only do I have to deal with freaky looking people, but now the game crashes on me too much.

Also, I can see the people's avatars when I go to pick which civ I want to be, but only during the game play do I not see them correctly.

Here are my pc's specs:

2.7 GHz Intel Celeron processor
    768 mb of RAM
    80 GB HD
    GeForce MX 4000 Nividia video card.

I meet all of the recomended requirements, yet when I first time I started the game it said that I did not, so it lowered the graphics for me. I have the graphics on vey low save only a few nice options I have enabled such as 3 people per unit thing. Other than that it is low. When the game crashes it say something failed to allocate in memory or graphics card. Sometimes that results with that the desktop gets all big after the game crashes and is kind of faded with colors.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going on? If you do is there anyway to fix the problems.

Thank you, and God speed.

Vigis

Sounds to me like either you have some bad files, or you have a bad video card. GF MX 4000 (not a 420/440 you sure?) is pretty low end specs, it might not be able to handle the 3d parts of the game well, not sure. Certainly could be overheating trying to keep up...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well the video card worked fine with Civ IV and Civ IV Warlords, but not BtW. Were there any graphics improvements in BtW?

And yes it is a MX 4000 PCI 128 MB DDR graphics card.

God bless.

Vigis

Comment

Hmm, not sure if that would affect avatars. You may have bad files then (though check that you still can play vanilla/warlords fine, if you can't then probably you have a dying video card).

You have directx upgraded, right? I suppose it's possible something in the new directx doesn't work properly with that old of a video card...

I really think the video card is the issue, but not sure if it's not that. A new video card, newer anyway, would be a really good idea... even an oldish one that's like $40 or so would be a big improvement.
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I will be sure to play the other versions as soon as possible.

Thanks and God bless.

Vigis

Comment

I think this is a lack of memory issue, i have the problems that you describe occasionally. However, i just thought it was my laptop, because it is below recommended specs. The problem just seemed to fix itself for me.

Sorry i can't be of more help.

Comment

I experienced the same problem from when I started my first game and it seems to me that would be an issue with Geforce 4 MX 4000. I haven't updated the drivers yet to see if it can help or not. Any other things except for the avatars work well.

Comment

Wait you have the same kind of video card? If it is just the memory card I might as well just go get a new and better one. I am going to ask them about this.

Also, I only experience the crashing during the late game. So I contacted them and they told me to deleted certain files and I did. It did not crash immediatly, but it crashed about an hour afterwards. So I called them again and I went through these steps to donate more memory towards the game when it is being played. In order for that to work I had to start a whole new game. Well about in the 17th. century my anitvirus poped up with its usual updates. Well it took me to windows and then suddenly another window pops up and says, "Using the MemorySaver option in your configuration does not allow device loss. Exiting program." And the game quit. It made me so mad. Now I am going to cantact them AGAIN, and see if their is any solution to this.

God bless.

Vigis

Comment

I checked my other Civ IV games and they worked fine. I am begining to think that the video card is incompatible with game.

Go with God.

Vigis

Comment

Your signatures have more gravitas than Stone Philips

I'd say get a new card, but lookout and make sure your motherboard can support it. If it only has PCI slots then your options are very limited.

Comment

Yeah I am sure it only uses PCI. I looked at a card from Best Buy. It was aroun $200 and it was 2 or more times better than my old one.

Go with God.

Vigis

Comment

If you're mainly interested in just civ, you can get a capable PCI card for $60 or $70, I think.

Comment

Yes and as far as I experienced, this only happens with BTS expansion and not with the traditional version of the game (and perhaps also not with the Warlords version).

I did not have an opportunity to try to fix this but having you mention the video card model, I thought it may be caused by that.

Also check this: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=141405

GL

Comment

When it was happening to me it was on Warlords version. I don't have this video card tho, i think i have something like an intel extreme graphics in my laptop.

Comment

I've started noticing the same thing - not with Warlords, but only BtS. Not with all civs, but every time Wang Kon turns up it's his eyeballs and teeth only - AAAAAAAAHH!

And it shouldn't be a graphics card or memory or processor issue since my laptop is ridiculously over-spec (C2D 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 8600M GT).
                              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                              X