The Cost of Random Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cost of Random Events

I'd like to develop a map of how large a gold reserve civs need to maintain through the course of the game in order to have a full range of options for responding to random events. If people would be willing to post information about events they have encountered, the date the events occurred, and the cost of the different options for responding to the events, I can use that information to generate the map. As the map develops, there won't be any need for information about events that occurred later or cost less than events already on the map. But events that have a greater cost at an earlier date will always be useful.

My plan is to put a list of the earliest, most expensive events people have encountered in this top post. That should provide a relatively convenient guide, and make it relatively easy for players to tell whether events they have encountered would add useful information to the map. I may also include some events that aren't as expensive if the consequences of not being able to pay seem significantly more serious.

The format is year - cost - event - consequence of inability to pay.

3275 BC - 10 gold - Forest Fire - Can't save a forest.
    775 BC - 103 gold - Patron of Knowledge - Can't get a +1 science bonus from a library; have to settle for 103 science instead.
    425 BC - 25 gold - Missionaries Request Assistance - Miss an opportunity to spread religion to four foreign cities
    95 BC (Medieval) - 64 gold - Wealthy Family Discovers Rare Writings - Miss chance for +1 beaker per turn from a library.
    1460 AD (Early Renaissance) - 387 gold - Generous Warlord - Miss opportunity for a free great military instructor.
    Last edited by nbarclay; September 10, 2007, 04:59.

I'd like to develop a map of how large a gold reserve civs need to maintain through the course of the game in order to have a full range of options for responding to random events. If people would be willing to post information about events they have encountered, the date the events occurred, and the cost of the different options for responding to the events, I can use that information to generate the map.

Or Firaxis could just document all the events (or give us the documentation they've got, which presumably exists in some form) for us...

Comment

Where would the fun be in that?
      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Shouldn't game speed be included?
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I think including the era would be useful. The events tend to be based on what stage of development you're at rather than what year it is.

Comment

I think all events are python/xml so you should be able to find that info? The problem is they are not date dependent but depend on your ability to build certain units/buildings for instance.
            Clash of Civilization team member
            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

The most expensive I had so far was the option to either reduce the inflation by 10% (Cost: 0 Gold) or to invest 476 Gold to lower the Inflation by 25% (which saved me around 50 Gold per turn).
              It happened rather late in the game 18th century I think (Huge Map, Epic Speed)
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I experienced 2 events early in my first game before I shelved it:

1 - some event concerning a farm, I don't remember whether it was a fire or raiding bandits. My alternatives were
                a) -1 happiness in the city (my happy-capped capital, no less) for IIRC 5 turns
                b) the loss of 20 gold
                c) the loss of the farm.

I said "Thanks for the fun" and sacrificed the money.

I don't remember what the second was about, but the least painful decision was the city defending archer losing all movement points for 2 turns, which I gladly agreed to.

I never saw a positive event. After the game is patched and I can play again, I think I will switch this funkiller off.

Comment

if you switch hem off, you´re missing a lot of good events, too
                  Till now I found the good events worth the risk of the bad events. And, after all it makes gold at least a little bit more important.
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I'm leaning in SR's direction on this. I've had 2 negative events (lost a pasture tile - nothing I could do, and paid some money - don't remember how much - to save a developing cottaged floodplain). I've had 1 positive event - prarie dogs or somesuch adding +1 commerce to an off-river plains tile I won't use for thousands of years.

None of them have been fun.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yeah, Arrian, you're missing some really cool events.q

Comment

You may be upset when a village gets destroyed by a tornado, but when you see the bank event, you will be gald events on.
                        USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                        The video may avatar is from

Comment

A TBS is the better, the less randomness is in it. Positive events are just as bad as negative in this regard. The latter takes stuff away you earned hard. The former gives you stuff you didn't earn.

But let's not destroy Nathans thread.

SR out.
                          Last edited by Harovan; August 8, 2007, 16:38.

Comment

If all you have seen is 2-3 events, then you haven't tried it very long. I'd recommend you try it a bit longer before deciding whether you like it or not. I think the events are pretty balanced and that the only thing they really do is add flavor to the game. Sometimes, they are a bit annoying, and sometimes they make me smile. In the end, If they aren't improving your game experience, then turn them off. No feature of any game will please everyone.

Comment

I think the philosophy of the events is a good one, personally, although I can see how it annoys the crap out of other people, no matter whether they get good, bad or neutral events.

History is writ large with strange occurrences and chances, and I think events try to capture that flavor in a game of Civ. That said, it can alter or ruin your strategy, or cause you to change your strategy in a non predictive manner.

Comment

Working...
                              X