Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you upgrade your units ?

Hello,

I'm playing Civ IV (and now BtS) for a long time but there is something a bit disappointing with it.

In Civ III when I wanted to upgrade my units, I clicked on the military advisor and from there it was easy to upgrade every unit.

In Civ IV, the only way I found is to go through every city and to click on every unit to upgrade it ... Also I find the military screen totally useless.

I'm sure I am missing something, so how do you upgrade your units, and do you use the military screen (and for what) ?

When you click on a unit (can be done from the main screen, no need to go into the city) if you hold down Alt while clicking the upgrade button it will upgrade all troops of that sort that can be upgraded.

Comment

It will select every unit of that type inside the city (or the square) or for your all civ ?

If only for the city, it's not really easy, you still have to do it for all cities ...

Comment

It does it for every unit in the civ that can be upgraded. So units outside your borders won't be upgraded obviously. As you're hovering over the symbol (with Alt held down) it will tell you how much it costs. If you don't have enough then it will upgrade as many as can be afforded. In that case it seems to choose units roughly evenly throughout cities with a bit more weighting placed on border cities or cities with few units.

Comment

Alt will do your whole civ. (provided you have enough money for it)
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

For what it's worth Ctrl selects all the units in the tile.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelis
              It will select every unit of that type inside the city (or the square) or for your all civ ?

If only for the city, it's not really easy, you still have to do it for all cities ...
              In Civ 4 it's not necessary for a unit to be in a city to upgrade, it can do that anywhere within your cultural borders. The only restriction is if the unit you're upgrading requires a resource, your old unit has to be on a road to connect to it. So if you press Alt while clickling on the upgrade button, all units of that type anywhere in your empire will upgrade. It's actually much more convenient that it was in Civ 3.

Comment

Thanks everybody, I'll try tonight :-)

Comment

Working...
                X