BtS - Religious Hostilities and Open Borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BtS - Religious Hostilities and Open Borders

I'm playing what I'd hoped will be my first complete BtS game, and my Islamic Dutch (playing the "choose your religion" setting - I picked Islam with Theology) can't get open borders with any of the other three civs on the Continent, all of which are Hindu. Prior to BtS, I don't remember ever having a situation where all of my neighbors refused to agree to open borders. Russia (under Catherine) and the Celts also refuse to trade resources, which has traditionally been easier to negotiate than open borders, while the Incas have nothing to trade.

I've had this kind of trouble establishing deals with civs of other religions before much later in the game, and it's not uncommon for certain particular civs (I've especially noticed it with the Spanish) to refuse to deal if I have a different religion. But I've never seen had such a widespread problem trying to deal with civs on my own continent in the early stages of the game. (It's currently 275 BC, but the problem started a lot earlier.) It's not inconceivable that this is a coincidence, but I'm wondering whether Firaxis nerfed the ability to get agreements with civs of other religions, either directly or indirectly. If so, I'm really, really, REALLY annoyed.

For the record, I'm playing with the patch and Solver's fixes, on Monarch level. The settings are Custom Continents with six continents, huge map, 18 civs, hotseat with me controlling two civs. (My other civ, the Mayas, doesn't have any religions on its home continent yet and hasn't had any trouble establishing open borders.)
    Last edited by nbarclay; August 5, 2007, 21:41.

Depends on the leaders. Stalin is always crazy, and Isabella has always been obnoxious if you have a different religion. For what it's worth I have not noticed AI civs on the whole being more reluctant to trade than in Warlords.

Comment

I forgot to mention that my Russians are under Catherine; I edited that into my earlier post.

Comment

Working...
      X