Some ideas to fix corporations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some ideas to fix corporations

I touched on this issue in my post first game review of bts, however I'd like to bring my ideas to the table for possible fixes to the corporation problem.

As corporations stand now, I feel, that they lack strategic depth. Here are the reasons:

Right now if you spread a corporation to a foreign city you get a huge cash bonus, which I feel by some degree is unbalanced, the problem is that the AI has no idea how to handle them. If you drop one exec into a city they will do the remainder of the work for you and bog themselves down by expanding the corporation to every single one of their cities. Not only do they do that, but they spread it to the rest of the world! Giving you a massive cash increase and an unbalanced power grab.

This also destroys the strategic depth of corporations. Say, for instance, I control standard ethanol and I want to expand it to my ally Darius because he has no access to oil, I can't because the second I setup an exec in his city he'll not only destroy himself with it, he'll give the bonus to every other civ on the face of the planet.

My solution to this problem would be, obviously re-program the AI to understand the benefits/drawbacks of corporations, but also give the founder the soul ability to spread that corporation so that way I can spread, or the AI can spread, standard ethanol to my cities but I/AI can't build executives to spread it themselves. This does two things, it balances the power of corporations by requiring a huge investment on behalf of the owner to spread it to every single foreign city and it also builds the strategic depth of corporations. To crush some with a corp, and to give the benefits of others to only a few.

I'm posting a poll on this one to see what you guys think overall, but if you vote bananas please provide some explanation so we can get a dialogue going for Firaxis's impending patch.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Yes
    35.48%
    No, and heres why
    22.58%
    Where is my damn Banana corp?!!
    41.94%
    As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
    atrocities.
    - Voltaire

The AI should know that spreading a resource producing corp to a civ is that same as gifting a resource if that civ has no access to it.

Spreading a corp in every city can be a very strong move if you have the necessary resources. Sid's Sushi can easily give you a +10 food in every city. This is at least worth a 5 merchants and often more. Representation + Free Trade + Sid's Sushi or Cereal Mills + Pacifism can be very strong even for a very well developed country without the HQ.

Spreading Mining Inc can boost your production and has an incredible synergy with Police State and Factories. You can crank out units in only a few turns in most cities even on Epic or Marathon. The price you pay in commerce is certainly high but worth it if done right.

The other corps depend more on the situation but can enable a cultural victory.

I do agree that the AI needs to only spread a corp if it knows it will benefit from it. Meaning does it need oil or aluminum? Is it going for a cultural victory? Does it have access to many metals? To many food resources?

I don't have played enough yet to know how well the AI does with corps. It was mostly me using them against the AI.

Comment

Now that Solver has made corporations immune to inflation, they are much less destructive. Now, the averge AI is only paying a few gold a city for coporations.
      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by Will9
        Now that Solver has made corporations immune to inflation, they are much less destructive. Now, the averge AI is only paying a few gold a city for coporations.
        Say what? Immune to inflation? What's up with that? I hate it when I feel I missed something, but I didn't get that from the unofficial patch discussion. Is that what you are talking about?
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Comment

... Ferment Unhappiness ...

Bad wine?

Comment

I would suggest for AI to be able to spread only withing its own borders, if it is not the corporation founder.
              The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
              certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
              -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

I just tried using Mining Inc, and by the time I had it in 3 cities I was thinking omg, where's all my gold gone!
                The penalties seem quite steep if you ask me, it was -30 gold in each city.
                The HQ was in a city with +200% gold, but still it was a huge hit to take for +8 hammers per city.

Doesn't that thing from Solver also stop the AI spamming corporations?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
                  ... Ferment Unhappiness ...

Bad wine?
                  Bad whine!
                  The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

That's an upkeep issue, and the inflation fix should be enough to make corps ok without changing other rules.
                    Clash of Civilization team member
                    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

But the inflation fix doesn't solve the strategic issue. As is now it is too easy for a founder to make massive stacks of cash by simply sending over one or two execs and allowing the AI to fill in the blanks. If the founder had the soul right to spread it would take a heck of a lot longer, and a lot more investment, to spread a corp throughout the world. Also, as it stands now, you're also taking away a strategic bonus that a founder should have, the ability to pick which opponent gets the resource bonus. Right now I'm not going to spread standard ethanol to Darius for fear he'll give it to china. Why should Darius be able to spread it on his own simply because I supplied him a corporate branch.

I feel only the founding city should be able to build executives.
                      As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit
                      atrocities.
                      - Voltaire

Comment

Say you spread Cereal Mills to another civ. It gives +2 and -4 . If they used it to add a merchant in every city and all of those citis had a market, grocer, and bank. they would be gaining 2 gold per city and 4 in the wall street city. That is only from minimum benifets. This means there are benifets.

I think there should be types of executives. Rugular executives that only spread to your cities and can be built in any city with the corp and Emissary Executives that can only be made in the founding city and can spread corps outside your borders.
                        Last edited by Will9; August 6, 2007, 14:01.

Comment

Conceptually (without regarding the game), corporate HQ should have the decision as to (choose one):
                          1. Which CIVs to expand to, or
                          2. Which cities to expand to.

If (1), then other civs who have a branch of your corp. should be restricted to expanding it within their own borders. Of course, that's all FUBARed if a city changes hands without mechanics to close a corp. branch in that city.

Comment

Franchises can get out of hand in RL, as one franchisee opens multiple branches, some of which are also franchises. Once you establish McDonalds of Hong Kong, you can bet your bottom dollar they will spread it to all of China, southeast Asia, and Pakistan at a minimum.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I find it pretty hard to spread any corp. When I get Minning Inc I can only spread it in my civ as everybody else has mercateism.

Comment

Working...
                              X