No announcement yet.

BtS unofficial patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made that comment in response to someone who said, "So what if BTS has bugs? It's your problem if you can't wait for a patch."

This person, don't remember his name, should realize he purchased a game, not a beta, and should expect it to be finished on release.

Comment

Solver any chance this will be in official patch? I get wary of all these unofficial adds ons (yours and dale's) if they will conflict with the game later.

Comment

See, the game being finished and not having bugs isn't the same thing, unfortunately. I hate bugs as much as the next guy, but it's a sad fact of modern game development that no game ships without bugs. Every major game I've played that came out within the last 10 years has some bugs. What's worse, the more complex games usually have more bugs. A simple FPS game can be relatively bug-free, that's the one genre where I know games with no major bugs on release.

Any more complex game, such as a RPG, RTS or TBS game has bugs, some of which are more than cosmetic and can range from annoying to game-breaking. And you should be ready for that when you buy a game. If you buy a game and truly expect it not to have any bugs, you're either delusional or haven't bought many games.

These days, it's a question of how severe the bugs are, how soon a patch is released and how well it addresses the issue, not a question of whether there will be bugs.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
          Solver any chance this will be in official patch? I get wary of all these unofficial adds ons (yours and dale's) if they will conflict with the game later.
          This won't conflict with the later patch anyway. The patch will just overwrite the DLL anyway. Hopefully it will also include some of these changes.

If you mean Dale's RtW addon, I doubt that would be included in the patch merely because of size concerns, but ask Dale if you want to know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver

If you mean Dale's RtW addon, I doubt that would be included in the patch merely because of size concerns, but ask Dale if you want to know for sure.
            I REALLY doubt Dale's Add-On can be officially endorsed by Firaxis due to including Hitler, but perhaps any bug fixes he's found can still get through.

Beyond the political correctness factor, I think its also neat when the various scenarios have their own add ons as it means new content for the fans but something entriely skippable if not your thing.

I think the trick for Firaxis is then to always keep bug fixes and all new mod content seperate, not sure if this is easier said than done.

Comment

Beyond the political correctness factor,
              good name for a new XP

Comment

Re: BtS AI - minor update

Originally posted by Solver
                Here's a minor update to the BtS AI, just download the DLL file and put it where appropriate.
                At the risk of smart-aleck remarks, where is the appropriate place for those of us who accepted the defaults? Or will unzipping it automatically give a file that places itself? Thanks.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Hey Solver, just wanted to say a quick thanks for working out these unofficial updates so quickly. The work you, Jon and Dale are continuing to do ahead of an official patch is much appreciated.

I guess most people post here to report problems, but I believe there are a lot of people like me who are thoroughly enjoying BtS so far, content to know that those quirks that remain will get ironed out with a forthcoming patch.

And, as for your additional events...

Comment

The Assets folder of your BtS folder. The default full path would, I believe, be C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword\Assets.

Comment

Originally posted by =DrJambo=
                      Are you guys able to fix the bug with the military academy with these 'unofficial' updates?
                      Any ideas Solver?

The bug is that one can build the MA anytime you want.

Comment

thanks for the work you do on bts solver

Comment

Yeah, I know the Military Academy bug, I had found that one before the game hit the shelves. I'll see if I can get a fix, though I'm not sure how the heck it came to be.

Comment

Okay, added that fix to the first post separately.

Comment

What's the MA fix? How does it fix it?

Comment

Just a XML fix, moving it from to - apparently the former tag is designed to ignore requirements.

Comment

Working...
                                X