Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No way, I don't myself quite know the full mechanics here
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Useless

Comment

• Ah. Found what the snag was. When you use a Great Work, it only adds culture to the city, and not to the plot or the surrounding plots, which matters in case of cities previously owned by other players.

Now, I can't remember whether that was changed in BtS or the Warlords patch. I know for a fact that there was some proposed change to Great Work mechanics at some relatively recent point in development, but I can't remember what the change was nor whether it actually made it in.

Comment

• Ah. Found what the snag was. When you use a Great Work, it only adds culture to the city, and not to the plot or the surrounding plots, which matters in case of cities previously owned by other players.

I WAS RIGHT

Comment

• Banned

Comment

• You know, wouldn't it be simpler to only remember culture stored in a city (for each nationality), and always calculate tile culture values based on that? (Use only the culture value from the controlling civ, of course).

Comment

• The opposite would be simpler, I guess. Remembering values for a city require a separate entry - you then need to remember culture of all cities and all non-city plots. I presume you could only store the culture values of all plots and just have that translate to city culture directly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                  The opposite would be simpler, I guess. Remembering values for a city require a separate entry - you then need to remember culture of all cities and all non-city plots. I presume you could only store the culture values of all plots and just have that translate to city culture directly.
                  Hm? Remember values for a city requires only storing #civs*#cities values. Remember values for a plot requires a lot more than that.

Comment

• Yes, but you must remember values for plots anyway, that's a given. So the only two options are to translate that into city values directly or store city values separately (as it is now).

Comment

• Yes, but you must remember values for plots anyway, that's a given.

No you don't, not if they're entirely determined by city values. You may want to cache plot culture values for performance reasons, but that doesn't mean it's necessary to make them a gameplay value independent of city culture.

Comment

• How would you implement that? I see no way to calculate a plot's culture given the culture of all cities in the area.

Comment

• It would certainly be incredibly inefficient anyhow to recalculate each tile's ownership constantly based on city cultures (or even each turn). Huge maps are bad enough already...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                            It would certainly be incredibly inefficient anyhow to recalculate each tile's ownership constantly based on city cultures (or even each turn). Huge maps are bad enough already...
                            That is why you cache the values between turns and recalculate them all only when the savegame is loaded...

Comment

• How exactly do you recalculate them, though?

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                                How would you implement that? I see no way to calculate a plot's culture given the culture of all cities in the area.
                                Are you serious? A dozen different ways come to mind, all variants of culture = sum(f(distance to i), i in cities), where f is some appropriate function like inverse square.

Comment

Working...
                                X