Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotes questions

Electricity
    "We will make electricity so cheap that only the rich will burn candles." -Thomas Edison

Did he mean that the rich are cheap, or did he mean the rich could enjoy candles as a luxury?
    Last edited by ghen; July 30, 2007, 15:15.
    ~I like eggs.~

I'm sure he meant that candles would be a (relatively) expensive luxury in comparison with the cost of electric lighting. Think about how much it would cost to buy enough candles to keep up with the electric lighting we use.

Comment

Did he mean that the rich are cheap,
      ?

Comment

Originally posted by nbarclay
        I'm sure he meant that candles would be a (relatively) expensive luxury in comparison with the cost of electric lighting. Think about how much it would cost to buy enough candles to keep up with the electric lighting we use.
        Rich people also burn candles for style points with the ladies.

Comment

P.S. this thread was going to be longer but I got sidetracked heh.
          ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf

Rich people also burn candles for style points with the ladies.
            Why says women are the only ones who can regard eating by candle light as romantic? And who says only the rich do it? The cost of a couple candles for a candle-lit dinner isn't that big a deal. It's trying to use candles as a regular source of lighting, day in and day out, that would be prohibitively expensive for anyone but the rich.

Comment

Burning candles in your house regularly is an unnecessary and expensive pain in the ass. Unless you're rich, in which case it is stylish. This quote is a little obvious.

Ladies also love candles, or gay men
              Last edited by Wiglaf; July 30, 2007, 16:02.

Comment

Working...
              X