Resident of Apostolic Palace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident of Apostolic Palace

I am the resident of the Apostolic Palace, but I did not build it and do not own it. It is my understanding from reading the Civilopedia that I should be able to propose resolutions. Is that true? If it is true, how do I do it? I can't find anything that tells me how.

You'll be able to propose on in due course. Popups letting you do that appear periodically.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Why can't you propose on your own? The way it works now, AP is almost never worth it.

Comment

I would presume that's to avoid resolution spam.

If you really invest in the AP, it can be worth a lot. Nothing else can make 4 other civs declare war on your enemy.

Comment

Why not have it so you can only propose one resolution in, I dunno, 20 turns? Variable by speed obviously.

Comment

And how would that be really different from the current mechanism? The overall effect would be pretty much the same, except add the annoyance of having to go to some screen to propose something. That's what they had in SMAC, I didn't like having to remember when the 20 turns would be up every time...

Comment

Does the AP as it is now automatically pop up whenever there is a resolution you can propose? Pretty sure it doesn't, though that'd be nice.

Comment

No, but it pops up at fixed intervals. Your suggestion would be the same, in essence. You get to choose when to vote for the first resolution, and then you'll be proposing them every 20 turns to maximize usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  And how would that be really different from the current mechanism? The overall effect would be pretty much the same, except add the annoyance of having to go to some screen to propose something. That's what they had in SMAC, I didn't like having to remember when the 20 turns would be up every time...

The "having to remember" problem could be solved easily with a reminder, either a pop-up or just something added to the message queue.

The real question is, what kind of model of meetings is the Apostolic Palace mechanism supposed to represent? Occasional pop-ups that let you propose resolutions create an image of an organization that is only in session at certain intervals, so you have to wait until the next time it's in session to propose a resolution. A model of being continuously in session would be represented better by having a mechanism where the player can propose a resolution at any time as long as sufficient time has passed since the last resolution. Either approach makes sense, just in the context of a different type of model.

A third approach would be a hybrid with pop-ups giving the Resident the option to propose resolutions, but with the ability for the Resident to propose a resolution at a time of his own choosing if he declined to propose one when the last pop-up appeared. That could make for an interesting question of, "Do I go ahead and propose a resolution, or wait and keep my options open?" But it would also take away the interesting strategic question of, "Do I propose my resolution now, or wait until the next time the Palace meets - assuming I'm still Resident then?"

In any case, there is nothing really wrong with the current model. Differences of opinion are just a matter of taste. And on matters of taste, it is almost never possible to please everyone.

Comment

I would presume that's to avoid resolution spam.
                    Oh man that would be so much fun, esp. in MP games

And if you do it too often, you get diplo penalties.

-10%: PCR for teh spam

Anyway, I don't have BtS yet. Why are you teh resident if you don't own it? Did teh others vote you in?
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Same as the UN, you can still be elected if you don't build it, although building it yourself is obviously preferrable.

Comment

Yes, there are regular elections being held to determine who is resident for the next year.

Eliglible for voting is every state that has a city with the religion of the apostoolic palace (and the religion of the apostolic palace is the state religion the owner of the apostolic palace had when it was built).

Well, if Solver says that around every 20 turns a window should pop up where you can bring up a resolution for proposal, then seems to be something wrong with my AP. I ahave been owner and resient for centuries now, but the only resolution (aside from the regular elections) that ever popped up was when I was at war with Brennus. Then the resolution was proposed to stop War on me (as Brennus was voting member of the palace).
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

No, but it pops up at fixed intervals. Your suggestion would be the same, in essence. You get to choose when to vote for the first resolution, and then you'll be proposing them every 20 turns to maximize usage.
                          I'm pretty sure that the AP never prompted me to pass a resolution for hundreds of turns, despite there being ones I could have reason to propose.

Comment

That's more like a case of your play being broken. If you build the AP and still create a situation where you can't propose anything useful for a century, that's a problem with how you play.

Comment

I built the AP, was installed as leader, and over the course of the entire game, had only 2 chances to pass a resolution. Once was when I was in a war, and it was to get the other members to declare war as well (it failed ), and the other was to block trade against an overseas rival. Why doesn't it let me vote to initiate war every time I declare war on someone? As it stands now, it just feels completely random.
                              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Working...
                              X