Connecting island resources to cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting island resources to cities

If you have a resource on an island that is within the borders of a city, how do you connect it to your civilization's trade network? I'm able to build improvements, roads, and work the resource, but I can't figure out how to connect it. Here's a couple pictures illustrating what I mean, incase I'm not explaining it well enough. I can work the copper mine on the island, but I don't have copper in my list of resources.

Try building a Fort there instead - they're supposed to act like cities for defense, ship movement, air unit bases and resource access. This would be the ideal test of that.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Connecting depends on having the Sailing technology. If ocean squares were involved (not sure how you coud do that with cultural expansion), then you'd need Astronomy.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I tried both but no luck. I think forts just count as cities for combat purposes, as I didn't get access to the resource and it didn't give the bonus for working the tile either. I also tried giving myself sailing and astronomy with the World Builder, but it still didn't show the resource in the city window. Is there something else we're missing?

Comment

Perhaps you have to play a turn or two before it comes into play? I'm pretty sure Forts give you access to resources as long as those resources are in your borders. Could you make a test case where your capital is deeper in the landmass, and you have a second city on that one-tile island? That would show if it is possible from the first turn if you can connect resources when using the editor/advanced start option.
          Consul.

Comment

According to the manual forts can act as harbours for trade so you probably need a minimum of a two tile island - a tile with the resource and the necessary improvement to work it and another tile connected by road with a fort to act as a harbour to connect the resource.

Maybe.
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Do forts function as a mines/farms/plantations? Seems you would get the trade connection, but lose the mine digging up the copper.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I tried replacing an Oil Well with a Fort and lost the supply of oil..
                Forts defo don't give you access to the resource.. I thought were suppose to?

Comment

Originally posted by CreepyD
                  I tried replacing an Oil Well with a Fort and lost the supply of oil..
                  Forts defo don't give you access to the resource.. I thought were suppose to?
                  Was it within the workable radius of a city? Forts certainly do give you a resource when they're outside city radii.

Comment

If he had access with the Well to begin with, it was within Creepy's boundaries. What's going on with Forts? Do they in fact do what they're now supposed to?
                    Consul.

Comment

I'm pretty sure in my most recent game I'm getting the gold I've claimed with a fort. Looks like I'll have to double check.

Do you have a road on the tile? If a fort is supposed to act as a harbor for the purpose of resources, you may still need a route.
                      - Dregor

Comment

So does that mean if I have a fort on the coast, I can have a ship in it?

Comment

Yup. And planes too.

Comment

is there a road on the tile? even with a mine or a fort your gonna need a road and I don't see one in that screenshot
                            When the stars threw down their spears,
                            and water'd heaven with their tears,
                            Did he smile his work to see?
                            Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Comment

Originally posted by Tis I
                              is there a road on the tile? even with a mine or a fort your gonna need a road and I don't see one in that screenshot
                              That's true, I just assumed from the first post that roads etc had been added.
                              Consul.

Comment

Working...
                              X