Event Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Bug

I believe I found a bug with events. Three times now I have had something happen to my capital city and it gives me a choice to lose buildings or people. However, buildings is the default and it will not switch to people.

Which brings me to a gripe. I've played three games and had this event every time, in fact I've had mostly bad events. How do I get the good ones. Don't get me wrong, I like the events and the randomnize it gives to the game, I just want them to be slanted to my favor.

Mike

Not quite sure how to fix your bug. Sorry. Doesn't sound like a graphics card issue. Did your game load ok from the disks? A LOT of people seem to have bad disks, and that can cause issues.

However, I got almost 80% "bad" events in my first game. The next 3 have all been 60% or better "good" events. So, I think it just varies.

Comment

Sometimes you do not get a choice, even if it shows two "choice" boxes. Seems to happen for two reasons:
      - if you can't pick one of the choices (eg don't have enough cash or a required wonder etc)
      - there's not actually a choice, just a bunch of things happening that are listed.
      I wouldn't be surprised if the one you mention falls into the later category and you are losing buildings and people.

Comment

I loaded fine.

Comment

I too like the idea of events, but I'm beginning to think they happen too often. Especially since I too seem to be getting a rash of bad events, though I did get a few good ones too. I especially hated getting hit by building destroying events twice (one a hurricane and one a flood). I've had a slave revolt which made sense since in this game, i've been whipping the hell out of my people. I have lots of food and my cities grow very fast, so I'm very careless with their lives. My favorite event so far is the food relief event. This is because you can benefit from it even if it happens to another civ as long as your the civ that needs the relief. China and I are best buddies because of this event happening twice and I mended fences with Egypt when it happened again.
          EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

Methinks you have been bitten by the RNG. I have had just 2 bad events, halfway through a marathon/large-fractal game. I keep getting reports of the OTHER poor bastards getting hit by tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.

Comment

Sorry, RNG (Random Number Gremlin :P)?

Comment

I just played a duel game and had the same cow pasture wiped out three times, termites, floods and a tornado. About 6 more bad events and I think for the entire game I had one good event. Now the new game I'm playing, I've already had a couple good ones and a quest with only 1 bad event. I still wish I knew how to tweak my playing style to get the good ones.

Mike

Comment

I like how the events seem to be tied to what has happened in the game.

I had an even recently where my archeologists uncovered some wisdom in the ruins of an ancient city --In actual city ruins from one of my really early wars.

Nice seeing the events based upon what's going on a bit.

Comment

I have mainly had good events - and the few "bad" ones have not been too bad.

As for the reports on the other civ's though - some of them got hammered!
                    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrapnel12
                      Sorry, RNG (Random Number Gremlin :P)?
                      RNG: Random Number Generator (aka the Gods of Chance).

Comment

I was close, maybe more right then I know?

Comment

I suspect the people choice only applies if you are running Slavery. Can't sacrifice population otherwise. I have gotten choces costing more money than I had. Couldn't choose them, but the button was there.
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

What happened is you did not get an actual choice. Think of it more as a list of bullet points on how the game was crapping on your head

All the things listed happened to you.
                            - Dregor

Comment

Working...
                            X