OCC (One City Challenge) on Emperor and above in BtS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC (One City Challenge) on Emperor and above in BtS

The purpose of this thread is to perfect strategies to win a one city challenge by any means on diety. However, the preferred method of victory is a space shuttle launch. Additionally, after we have perfected techniques to win a one city challenge on diety then the purpose of this thread will change to getting an earlier victory. So please fell free to discuss map settings, opponents, tech paths, city build orders, etc.

This thread continues the tradition that solo started

So with that being said, I'll get this started. I decided that for my first game I would start out on emperor, playing on an archipelligo map with the dutch. My starting location had three fish, one clams, and one crab within my fat cross, I had stone on the top of my tiny island, which was a straight line of four land tiles with my settler on the bottom land tile with the stone being just outside of my fat cross.

A BtS OOC limits the player to five national wonders, and I wasn't really paying attention to this so I ended up with the following five: National Epic, Globe Theater, Hermitage, Oxford University, Moai Statues. On this particular map map I really wish I hadn't built the Hermitage. I ended up with 90,000+ culture, but where borders can't really expand over oceans, my high culture didn't help me. I wish I had of had ironworks or national park instead. I ended up with the following great wonders: The Kong Maio, The Pyramids, The Great Library, The Taj Mahal, The Kremlin, Rock N Roll, The University of Sankore, and the internet, although it didn't show up in my city list. I also built the following two corporations: Creative Construction, and the Aluminum Co. Creative construction was really helpful at all. I was able to trade for coal so Aluminum company did come in half way handy.

So here is the basic rundown for the game. I started off building work boats, and just ramping up my city's population. I was able to snag the pyramids early on, and started exploring by galley. This is when I found that I was stuck in my own little corner of the world until I discovered caravels. Slightly before getting to optics, my culture bumped into Ghandi's cutlures and we traded some techs. I was behind by about seven techs, but I had civil service, and we de didn't so I was able to parley that into a five tech trade with him. After that I went for optics and started searching out my other opponents. I quickly discovered Lincoln and Boudica. Lincoln also had a slight tech lead on me, and Boudicia was behind. Then I discovered Ramesses, Huayna Capac, and Ragnar. Ramesses had a tech or two I didn't, but he wouldn't trade, same thing with Huayna Capac. Ragnar was way behind by that point. Ghandi was a very poor tech trading partner, though Lincoln and I were able to do a decent amount of business. Soon Ghandi had a slight lead, Lincoln and I were about even, and everybody else was way behind. Ghandi seemed like he was just running away with the tech lead lead, and then suddenly Lincoln and I over took him. I sprinted for the internet, got two or three techs out of it, and then started engaging in a furious space race with lincoln. It seemed like he might pull away, but I had a faster tech rate, and he didn't discover fusion in time, so I launched first. For whatever reason Ghandi and went limp. He had fallen way behind in the tech race, and in the space race, though he was still number one in overall score. I was just counting down my ten turns to victory, quite satisfied with myself. I only had about 3-5 turns left when...

GHANDI WON A CULTURAL VICTORY!!!

When I went back and loaded an autosave and looked on the victory screen, I could see that Ghandi was indeed creeping very close to three cities with Lengendary culture. I had been paying so much attention to Lincoln's space race progress on the victory screen that I didn't even think to look at the cultural part. So I will include my save game, and although I lost this particular time, I consider my margin of defeat so slim that I would say it is possible to achieve victory with this particular save.

Here's a couple of other thoughts on my game. I was truly resource poor. At the end of the game I still only had the same three fish, crabs, clams, and stone that I started off with. I was able to trade for coal, but I wished the entire time that I had just a few more resources. One thing that hindered my victory was the fact that I couldn't build the space elevator because I was too far south. A slightly better position would have really helped out. Lastly the AI's were all fairly hostile but passive. I only saw one city actually change hands, and that was when Boudica conquered one of Lincoln's cities. Other than that I think Boudica and Lincoln fought maybe two wars, and Ghandi fought a war or two with the Incas, and Ragnar maybe fought Ramesses one or twice as well. Though warfare wasn't too common in my game. I had a pathetically small military but it was probably more than enough. Plus if one of the AI's had of declared war on me they could have set up a blockade and reduce me to two squares, a hills/plains with a mine, and a hills/grassland with a forest (well that's what it had throughout most of the game) so they could have straved me into submisssion.

For my next game I may also play on archipelligo, but try out Huayna Capac (fin/ind) with the dutch civ. Also I may choose my enemies. I would have loved if Mansa had of been in the game instead of Boudica.
    Attached Files

So Gandhi was behind because he was pumping all his coinage into culture?

The AI really does know how to win culture victories.

When did Gandhi start falling behind? Did he manage to snag Rock and Roll, Hollywood and Broadway? Did he turn off his research after Mass Media? I suppose that ought to have been a warning sign to you.

Comment

I managed to build Rock N Roll but Ghandi built Hollywood and Broadway. Also I think you're right about Ghandi going for Mass Media and then cutting back on research to pump money into culture. That was about when Lincoln and I overtook him.

Comment

Working...
      X