• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent work, Solver.

And. please, where the initial gold cost to spread a corporation to
    one city can be found?

Best regards,

Comment

The base spread cost is defined in Assets\XML\GameInfo\Civ4CorporationInfo.xml, as iSpreadCost.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

A good review Solver, I enjoyed it. I even learned a few tidbits my eagle eye didn't spot on the forums sofar.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Flhaus

This seems personal to me. Do the rules apply to everyone? Just asking...
          Gosh, I hope this rule applies....

Solver,

Excellent job in the review. I'm downloading the game as we speak, and will give your review another read before playing it tonight.

Clearly, a lot of people seem to be concerned about corporations not being worth the cost -- not only due to maintenance but because the concomitant increase in inflation that appears to go along with them. I have to admit, the idea of corporations NOT providing money as one of their benefits seems a little counter-intuitive to me, but I'm willing to try anything if it makes sense inside the game. I think the complaint many are raising is not that the benefits the corporations provide, by themselves, are not worth the costs of maintaining the corporations, so much as the fact that by running FM, you leave yourself vulnerable to getting spammed by foreign civ corporations, while if you switch to Merc, you miss out on the extra trade benefits (and reduced corp maintenance) that FM provides...and if you find yourself backed into a corner with corp maintenance and switch to SP, you might as well not have even bothered with corps in the first place....can you address this concern?

(Use both side of the paper if necessary. )
          "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

An informative read.

Comment

With Submarines now being missile carriers, there’s also an Attack Submarine. It’s a version that does not carry missiles, however, receives a 50% combat bonus against regular subs.
              well this sounds like a totally uninteresting unit.

why would i build a submarine that has no strategic use, and is only good against one type of unit? if i wanna hunt submarines i might as well build another type of ship that is good against all ships.

and regarding your role in development - i agree with wiglaf that it is not clear enough from the text. the second line is too ambiguous.

Comment

There is no ship that is good against all ships. Attack subs are great for sub hunting and doing what subs did before BtS. If your subs are carrying missiles, you don't want to attack with them much for fear of losing those missiles.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  This thread has a direct link to the review, and blame Dan for his news items
                  fix it!

Comment

There is no ship that is good against all ships. Attack subs are great for sub hunting and doing what subs did before BtS. If your subs are carrying missiles, you don't want to attack with them much for fear of losing those missiles.
                    well my point is that there seems to be no real use for subs except for carrying missiles.

Comment

• Awesome review Solver, makes me want to go out and get it today, just like Yin's review did for the original.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                        But subs didnt do anything before BtS
                        A ship at sea is its own world. To be the captain of a ship is to be the unquestioned ruler of that world and requires all of the leadership skills of a prince or minister.

Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing, sooner than war

Comment

• Question on "No Tech Brokering" - sorry if this is answered elsewhere.
                          Does "can't trade a tech you haven't researched yourself" mean "discovered" or "researched"?
                          It would really suck if you were one turn from discovering Agriculture but got it from a goody-hut pop and then couldn't trade it because you hadn't "researched it".
                          I suspect that this is one option I may never use, but that's the beauty of options.
                          The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

• It's techs that you have researched. I think getting a tech from a hut when 1 tech away from it is exceedingly rare

Comment

• Solver, what's your opinion over corporation maintenance and inflation?

1. Fine as they are.

or

2. In need of a tweak.

If the latter, how would you tweak it?

Comment

• Too hard to say, actually, I want to play even more to be sure. It's a very tricky and delicate issue. Civics are probably in more need of tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                                X