No announcement yet.

Beyond the Sword Review by Solver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On that espionage issue. I haven't tested every possible action under every possible setting. It would seem that there's a problem with the water poisoning mission on Marathon speed. I haven't played BtS on Marathon (and I've always said it's a poorly balanced speed), and given the evidence so far, it seems that there might be a problem on Marathon indeed. Yet another case of Marathon multiplication leading to bad effects.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, I also thought watching swarms of Aztec Longbowmen attack my Giant Death Robots was fun until one of them actually shot the driver. It had 85XP by then!
      Thanks for the review, Solver. A great read.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
        On that espionage issue. I haven't tested every possible action under every possible setting. It would seem that there's a problem with the water poisoning mission on Marathon speed. I haven't played BtS on Marathon (and I've always said it's a poorly balanced speed), and given the evidence so far, it seems that there might be a problem on Marathon indeed. Yet another case of Marathon multiplication leading to bad effects.
        So which game speed do play on? Only on normal or do you see epic as "still balanced".

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed the review solver, but I have a question for you. If interceptors can defend multiple times per turn, how do take them out? Can fighters do a combat air patrol mission?

Comment

Todd: Epic almost exclusively. Epic is about as balanced as Normal IMO, though everything is bigger. Also goes for espionage. Poisoning water is powerful but not on the level of nukes.

Korn: ahh, I didn't mention it. Interceptor chance to intercept is 100% at full health. As they intercept, their health drops due to air combat, and then so does their chance of intercepting. What do you mean by a combat air patrol?

Comment

Great review Solver, I think your best one yet. Thanks for taking the time to share this with the community.
              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks, but I definitely don't feel it's my best one. I'm actually probably less satisfied with it than any of the others I've written.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                  Todd: Epic almost exclusively. Epic is about as balanced as Normal IMO, though everything is bigger. Also goes for espionage. Poisoning water is powerful but not on the level of nukes.
                  Thanks, maybe I will try switching to epic as well. I don't have that much time to play anymore anyways... I just love those games where you have time to actually use your tech and units before new ones come along, hence I only played marathon so far.
                  Since you said that the espionage problem is another thing that doesn't scale well to marathon, what else in your opinion isn't balanced on marathon speed?

Also, of course, congrats for the review! It didn't reveal anything new to me but it is well written and sums it up really nicely for potential buyers.

Comment

I don't think anything is balanced on Marathon, to be honest. It breaks the most fundamental aspects of balance, and the rest are just consequences.

Specifically, it's the fact that techs and buildings cost 300% on Marathon (and everything else is 300%), whereas unit costs are 200%. That makes armies much easier to build than infrastructure, which gives a very large advantage to warmongers, and that, in turn, breaks much of the remaining game. There are also smaller side effects, such as lightbulbing becoming relatively weaker or, as is the case here, some espionage missions becoming too powerful.

Comment

Oh, and if you are looking for a slower game (which is also what I like), try turning No Brokering on. It does slow the overall tech pace down a good bit. Though be warned that it also makes it considerably harder to become competitive if you fall behind in techs.

Comment

I really liked your format of breaking all of the major additions into separate sections, and dealing with their pros and cons respectively. Very nicely done! I am referring some of my friends who are casual civ fans to the review to get a taste of what to expect in the expansion.
                        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                          This is why people who personally know the games' programmers and who worked on the game should not write reviews. Too much potential for whitewashing things that suck.
                          there are obviously downsides to testers reviewing the game. But there are also very plus sides! A tester has played the game for months, and actually really knows what he talks about, while a 'normal' reviewer doesn't know much about the game, and may write a review after only playing 1-5 games.

Therefor it's good that there are the usual magazine reviews, that aren't biased (ok, who's not biased in this world?) but which are also less trustable because they may nog get concepts and ballances. And there's the Solver review, a review from an experienced BtS player.

I think it's a great review. It tells a lot of things about strategies and decisions that the 'normal' reviews don't give.
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Now that I've finished the review, I think it is good (better than your previous ones) but obviously biased in some areas.

It is pretty hysterical that paratroopers require fascism. Wtf were they thinking. That the US Airborne came into existence to fight fascism, I guess?

Comment

It is pretty hysterical that paratroopers require fascism. Wtf were they thinking.

It's bound to get some raised eyebrows. Then again, it's not like Mount Rushmore at Fascism made much sense in Civ4.

That the US Airborne came into existence to fight fascism, I guess?

At least you can come up with some explanation

Comment

I really liked your format of breaking all of the major additions into separate sections, and dealing with their pros and cons respectively.

Full credit goes to Yin for that particular arrangement. His feedback was invaluable for some last-minute editing.

Comment

Working...
                                X